Plain or self-rising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi I have never made a Pizza before. I have downloaded a few recipes and I have a few questions about it.

1) Strong white flour + fast action dried yeast versus self raising flour

2) Use of a pizza dish or without. Professionals seem to do without.

3) Will the topping in the middle prevent rising as it is nicer to have a raised side.

Thanks.

1. That's your choice. They behave the same.

2. A pizza pan primarily acts as a guide when stretching out the dough, to help you get the size and shape you want. Professionals generally have the experience to do it free-form.

3. No. When you're forming the dough, pinch the edge to create a raised side.

Maybe I should have said plain flour instead of strong flower as I don't seem to see strong self raising flour

When I lived in the Bahamas, I just used all purpose flour because I couldn't get bread flour on the island. It seemed to work just fine for pizza crust. You aren't looking for a high rise, so bread (or strong) flour isn't really necessary.

Self rising flour contains baking powder, not yeast. I have never heard of anyone making a pizza dough out of self rising flour.

Self rising flour contains baking powder, not yeast. I have never heard of anyone making a pizza dough out of self rising flour.

+1

For me, flour matters. I don't stock all purpose flour or self rising flour. I use bread/hard/strong flour for products using baking yeast and soft flour for products using baking soda or baking powder for leavening.

+1

For me, flour matters. I don't stock all purpose flour or self rising flour. I use bread/hard/strong flour for products using baking yeast and soft flour for products using baking soda or baking powder for leavening.
I stock AP flour, bread flour, whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, self-rising flour (used mostly for biscuits), and whole wheat pastry flour, all King Arthur, and from time to time I will order some other specialty flour from King Arthur. King Arthur is the only flour I use.

I use self rising flour only for certain cakes and biscuits. All other applications and recipes, all purpose flour. Even for bread. I just have to knead it for slightly longer. :angel:

Ok thanks for this SR flour uses backing powder. But I have only seen Plain and SR flour also strong flour in supermarkets.

Never heard of Bread or hard. didn't realise so many different ones. This needs more research on flour. I take it AP is the same as plane?

Also the recipe calls for
1 tbsp olive oil, (not extra virgin) plus extra for drizzling
I thought extra virgin was the oil to use always.

Ok thanks for this SR flour uses backing powder. But I have only seen Plain and SR flour also strong flour in supermarkets.

Never heard of Bread or hard. didn't realise so many different ones. This needs more research on flour. I take it AP is the same as plane?

Also the recipe calls for
1 tbsp olive oil, (not extra virgin) plus extra for drizzling
I thought extra virgin was the oil to use always.

Bread flour is simply high-protein flour - it's what we call strong flour here in the United States. Just use plain (what we call all-purpose) flour and yeast.

I have several different oils that I use for different purposes - canola for most sautéing and roasting, corn for Mexican, peanut and sesame for Asian, grocery-store extra virgin olive oil for my everyday Italian salad dressing and some cooking, and specialty extra virgin olive oil for finishing and for crostini and garlic bread.

I tried making pizza last week and I was awful at rolling it out. I tried to do it with hands and it went kind of square, but the main problem was that the dough was just too elastic. It got a certain size and, when I tried to stretch it further, it would just shrink back to the original size. Does anyone know why that happens and how to get it thinner?

I thought using a very strong flour would allow me to stretch it further without breaking, but it seems it doesn't allow me to stretch it far at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
I tried making pizza last week and I was awful at rolling it out. I tried to do it with hands and it went kind of square, but the main problem was that the dough was just too elastic. It got a certain size and, when I tried to stretch it further, it would just shrink back to the original size. Does anyone know why that happens and how to get it thinner?

I thought using a very strong flour would allow me to stretch it further without breaking, but it seems it doesn't allow me to stretch it far at all. Am I doing something wrong?

When it does that, you need to cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes or so, then try again.

You might like to read this for more details on flours and doughs: The Pizza Lab: On Flour Types, Foams, and Dough | Serious Eats

When it keeps snapping or shrinking back on you, walk away. Let the dough rest for about ten minutes, then go back to working it. Depending of the size you are going for, you may need to do this several times. While you are waiting and your dough is resting, you can be gathering your toppings and heating up your oven. You need to give the gluten a rest. The shape is normally round, but not necessarily the perfect way. Lots of pizzas are served square, oblong or any other shape. Some talented folks make them in the shape of Mickey Mouse, or other shapes familiar to children for children's parties. What kid doesn't love pizza.

Most of the members here just use all purpose flour. It is easier to work with. And you will get a more tender crust.

The world of pizza is so huge. It is no longer just an Italian treat. The fame of this delight has gone worldwide. :angel:

When it keeps snapping or shrinking back on you, walk away. Let the dough rest for about ten minutes, then go back to working it. Depending of the size you are going for, you may need to do this several times. While you are waiting and your dough is resting, you can be gathering your toppings and heating up your oven. You need to give the gluten a rest. The shape is normally round, but not necessarily the perfect way. Lots of pizzas are served square, oblong or any other shape. Some talented folks make them in the shape of Mickey Mouse, or other shapes familiar to children for children's parties. What kid doesn't love pizza.

Most of the members here just use all purpose flour. It is easier to work with. And you will get a more tender crust.

The world of pizza is so huge. It is no longer just an Italian treat. The fame of this delight has gone worldwide. :angel:

My pizzas come in all manner of odd shapes. I only do personal sized crusts, about 8 inches, so that each guest can top it to his own preferences. I only concern myself with getting the crust even in thickness. Shape just isn't much of a worry.

Back
Top Bottom