"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Possible to make pizza without oven?

hi i don't have an oven right now but i have a saucepan and rice cooker. i'm wondering if it's possible to make pizza without using an oven? what do you think?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Half Baked

A BBQ works great!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I was going to say no and then I thoght, well let me Goggle it just for fun. Here is one recipe that I found http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/dining/07mini.html

Here's the Google results list
pizza without and oven - Google Search

Good luck and let us know which one you tried and how they turned out.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm thinking that if you had a heavy frying pan, it would be a snap. Simply heat the pan until it's hot. Add a tbs or so of olive oil to the hot pan surface and wipe clean with a paper towel. Get a shiny film on the metal to eliminate the dough from sticking. Make sure the pan is hot before wiping the oil on. Place yur formed pizza dough onto the hot grill and cook like a pancake until the dough edges start to lift from the pan. Flip the crust and top with pizza sauce, and your favorite toppings. Cover and cook over low heat for about ten minutes. Cut and eat. If you want, you can remove the lid and brown the cheese with a kitchen torch. Go lightly with that torch flame.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

@Dave, the new york times' pizza dough looks more like a toast or pancake to me, but if i make it thinner, possibly it will still work too.

@goodweed, if you cover a pizza dough over a grill , would the water from the pizza and other ingredient probably make a steam and make it become a steamed pizza?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grain View Post
@Dave, the new york times' pizza dough looks more like a toast or pancake to me, but if i make it thinner, possibly it will still work too.

@goodweed, if you cover a pizza dough over a grill , would the water from the pizza and other ingredient probably make a steam and make it become a steamed pizza?
I can't comment if you are using a gas grill. I have made pizza on a Webber Kettle. I put olive oil in the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron pan and place the dough in it. I then pushed it into shape with my fingers. The dough was a standard recipe pizza dough for a thick crust pizza. I let it rise a bit, topped it with sauce and toppings, and placed it directly over the charcoal, hot and laid out as a solid bed. I put the lid on with all vents open on the bottom and top of the kettle. The crust and toppings came out perfect. I was so pleased. I have had poor luck trying to make a home made pizza in the oven. But on the grill, it comes out perfect. Also, the smoke from the charcoal adds a tremendous flavor, especially to the crust. The pizza didn't have the texture of steamed dough. It came out like great pizza crust.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm with GW...I think you could make a darn good pizza in a heavy skillet. I would brown it on one side, then flip it over and put your goodies on. You should have your ingredients warm before you put them on. One way to do that is to mix your browned meat and other items (except cheese) in with the tomato sauce and heat up in the sauce pan. Put the cheese on last, and the heat from the sauce will melt it.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I also make pizza on a grill sometimes. Mine is gas. Make sure you drop the lid as soon as you can. the trick to this is to keep the pizzas small - about 8 inches for even cooking. Just make several.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

grain back in the day my sisters use to make mini pizza's with Thomas' English muffins on a frying pan.

Dressed up properly they tasted like the real deal.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
grain back in the day my sisters use to make mini pizza's with Thomas' English muffins on a frying pan.

Dressed up properly they tasted like the real deal.
Never thought of that! Sounds like it could be really good with some sauce, garlic and cheese! YUM!

Tags
None