Roasted, Pizza Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
img_1390493_0_cd52f7ade64e27d5c9c8a7980026ee7e.jpg
Fresh Tomato's w/ Italian seasoning,evoo,& water.
img_1390493_1_9c2fbdcb03f8c77d940958cc542f92b5.jpg
Roasted for 2 hrs & put through the mill.
img_1390493_2_fc3c97c6809d963fe2ebb562059bb723.jpg
Canned & ready for Pizza.

Looks good. Care to share the recipe?
Tomato's cut and quartered, olive oil,fresh basil, chopped garlic,onion,oregano,marjoram,rosemary,bay leaves,S&P, & parsley roasted in the oven for 2 hrs, milled & canned.
Sorry I can't give you measurement's cause I just, adjust to taste!

Tomato's cut and quartered, olive oil,fresh basil, chopped garlic,onion,oregano,marjoram,rosemary,bay leaves,S&P, & parsley roasted in the oven for 2 hrs, milled & canned.
Sorry I can't give you measurement's cause I just, adjust to taste!

I'd guess roasting the ingredients adds a different depth of flavor.

I do all my tomato sauce like that--it is fantastic. And it smells so good while it is cooking!!

I roughly chop onions, garlic, celery and green peppers, lay them on a sheet pan, cover with halved or quartered tomatoes, and roast at 400 for an hour or so--until the veggies have a little brown on them. Then I scrape everything into a bowl and use the immersion blender. I don't peel or seed the tomatoes, and I don't put the herbs in until I am ready to use it.

Hi all, new user, first post. :chef:

I do all my tomato sauce like that--it is fantastic. And it smells so good while it is cooking!!

I roughly chop onions, garlic, celery and green peppers, lay them on a sheet pan, cover with halved or quartered tomatoes, and roast at 400 for an hour or so--until the veggies have a little brown on them. Then I scrape everything into a bowl and use the immersion blender. I don't peel or seed the tomatoes, and I don't put the herbs in until I am ready to use it.

I've used a similar methodology for making sauces in the past, and while they usually taste good, I find that the moisture always wants to separate from the "pulp" of the pureed veggies. I feel like if I attempted a sauce like this, it would do the same and just make the pizza dough soggy.

Anyone else have this problem? I've read that adding tomato paste can help, but I'm not sure why that would be...

I've used a similar methodology for making sauces in the past, and while they usually taste good, I find that the moisture always wants to separate from the "pulp" of the pureed veggies. I feel like if I attempted a sauce like this, it would do the same and just make the pizza dough soggy.

Anyone else have this problem? I've read that adding tomato paste can help, but I'm not sure why that would be...

If you end up with sauce that is too runny it could be that the vegetables weren't roasted long enough and not enough of the moister evaporates. It could also vary depending of the variety of tomatoes. If you get to the point where you've run it all through a blender and it's too runny, cook it in a pot at a simmer and let more of the liquid evaporate. It will cook down and thicken. Just make sure to stir it periodically and not let the temperature get too high so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

Add tomato paste or boil it down until it's thickened.

Hi all, new user, first post. :chef:I've used a similar methodology for making sauces in the past, and while they usually taste good, I find that the moisture always wants to separate from the "pulp" of the pureed veggies. I feel like if I attempted a sauce like this, it would do the same and just make the pizza dough soggy.

When I make marinara sauce, the solids always sink to the bottom while simmering. Unless you blend them and make a paste, they will separate.

I always use tomato paste to make the liquid more consistent with the solids.
You are doing nothing wrong and its perfectly normal for the sauce to separate.
The fix is to stir it well before using and or storing. Making sure all storage containers contain the same amount of liquid and solids.

Welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom