Sicilian Calzones & Bufala Di Mozzarella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:yum: Italia is a pizza lover´s mecca. Over the last 30 years, we have wandered from region to region, town to town, hamlet to hamlet and metroplitan city to metropolitan city, sampling pizzas and calzones in every size, shape, and flavor imaginable. Traditional Calzones are the soul of Sicilia, and here is how to recreate them, failproof easy as A to Z ...

:chef: Sicilian Traditional Calzones with Home Made Ricotta, Leeks, Fennel & Bufala di Mozzarella ...

Basic Pizza Dough By Hand

1 1/3 cup warm water 115 degrees farenheit
1 package active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour ( unbleached or bleached ) and, plus more for kneading
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil ( Italian )

To Make Dough By Hand ...

In a large bowl, combine water and yeast. Whisk until yeast has dissolved. In another bowl, combine flour and salt. Gradually and extremely slowly add flour and salt mixture to the yeast mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. With lightly floured hands, knead until dough is smooth and elastic, no less than 9 to 10 minutes.

To Let Dough Rise ...

Lightly oil a large bowl and add the dough, turning several times to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 1 and a half hours, or until it has doubled in size. Punch the dough down. This mound of dough shall make 4 calzones or 2 pizzas.

Leek, Fennel, Proscuitto di Parma, Bufala di Mozzarella & Ricotta Calzone ...

1 and 1/2 half pounds of dough ( see recipe above which is 1 and 1/2 pounds of dough )

1 large leek

1 small to medium size fresh fennel

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Ricotta ( See My Recipe: Cheeses for Homemade Ricotta )

1 fresh Mozzarella di Bufala drained of liquid

oregano, basil, parsley and 1 capscium dried red pepper in flake form

1) cut the dough into 4 equal parts and squeeze out any air bubbles
2) shape each piece into a ball and place the balls several inches apart on a lightly floured work surface
3) cover with plastic wrap and let rise again, a 2nd time until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour )
4) preheat oven 325 farenheit
5) on a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch one piece of dough into a nine inch circle
6) transfer to one side of a baking sheet and spread one quarter of the chopped finely vegetables with cheese chopped finely over half of the dough, leaving a 1 inch border.
7) Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press edges together and crimp decoratively
8) with a small knife, cut several slits in each top and repeat process with remaining calzones
9) bake 35 mins. to 40 mins. or until golden brown and Crispy.
10) let cool on rack 5 minutes before serving.

*** chop all ingredients finely and one can add Proscuitto di Parma, Asparagus, Spinach, Broccoli, garlic, vegetables of choice and / or tomato in addition to cheeses or charcuterie of choice.

Enjoy with a lovely Italian Salad of Arugula & Raddichio with vinaigrette, and Prosecco or a Red from Piemonte.

Ciao, :)
Enjoy.
Margaux Cintrano. :chef::yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Calzone Stuffing Suggestions

eggplant
zucchini
proscuitto di parma, or other type of Ham variety
cheese of choice
fennel, olives, capers, arugula or Rocket
tuna
salami
deli cold cut meats & cheese
feta and spinach
mortadella
meatballs with tomato sauce
shrimp with creamcheese & Marinara

Enjoy Kylie,

Margi.

Charlie, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

Which type of Mushrooms are your favorites ? The White Comun Type, or Chantarelles ( sort of look like an ivory colored mini fan ) or Boletus Eduli, which are wild and quite large, called Penny Buns in English I believe ? Sorrels ? Morels ?

Do you combine the mushrooms with any other ingredients in your Calazones ?

Have lovely day and thanks for your contribution and feedbk.
Margaux.

Cws, Good Afternoon,

Calzones can be made with such a diverse combination of ingredients ... You grow some very unique vegetables that would be lovely in a calzone ... and you can employ Provolone, cow variety Mozzarella, young Manchego from Castilla La Mancha, Spain, Swiss Gruyère, Goat Cheese of choice or any other cheese that has herbs and / or zip to it.

Enjoy. Have nice August.
Margaux.

Lovely

I often bake small calzone pizzas and sometimes when in a hurry I fry pancerotti

it is a good meal for the kids to take to school.

I am sure they will like lthe eek inside, and I am very itriqued by the fresh fennel, i like it as it is but I need to discover how it tastes together with leek.

Souvlaki,

Slice a 1/4 stalk of leek, and a bit of fennel ... very subtle, nice ... experiment, I think you shall enjoy ... Pancetta or bacon or ham adds a tremendous amount of flavor to a Calzone ...

My grandsons like:

Ham
Provolone Cheese
eggplant and tomato

Or:

Feta, spinach and pancetta or pinenuts

Or

tuna, bell pep, shallot or onion, garlic and spinach beetroot top leaves

Or

salami, provolone or Greek cheese of choice and olives with capers and tomato

Have fun,

It is endless for pizza and calzone, and the figs with goatcheese ! and honey ! Wonderful ...

Best regards, Margi.

Thank you so much Margi :)

eggplant
zucchini
proscuitto di parma, or other type of Ham variety
cheese of choice
fennel, olives, capers, arugula or Rocket
tuna
salami
deli cold cut meats & cheese
feta and spinach
mortadella