"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I've only tried the thinnest version till now (Napolitana/NYC-stlyle), and baked it directly on the stone. It came out great, but I just want to give a shot to the thick one.

As far as I've researched the recipes on the Web over the last a few days, and as it seems now - when the dough is already resting - it seems that the dough is very soft, hence cannot be formed/stretched as with the regular pizza dough. It is almost being poured to the pan.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Head Chef

I guess I'm not surprised. That would make sense for a pizza that needed a longer cooking time that would burn a hard thin-type crust.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Yeah. Sicilian pizza is the heavy-duty industrial version. I don't make it. My pizza is the thinnest of crisp crusts. Does Sicilian need a long cooking time because of the thickness? It always seems to come in the pan. I wonder if a thoroughly heated stone (or the bare masonry floor or a wood oven) would burn the crust?
It is baked right in the pan. Then cut into squares. I used to get a couple of pieces (5 cents each) every morning on the way to school for breakfast. There would be a big pool of oil on top. Tomato, cheese, and OIL! Sometimes there would be so much oil you had to pour it off. the half moon cookies (half chocolate and half white frosting, day old (2 cents each) ) and pizza. I think every kid had oil on their clothes by the time they go to school.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Executive Chef

First of all, use the stone or don't use the stone, it won't matter if the pizza is in a pan. I store my pizza stone in the oven, and if it's where I am going to put something, I put that something ontop of the stone.

Second, about the aluminium pizza pan. Aluminium cookware and bakeware are made for cooking and baking. The pizza pan will not poison you unless you plan on eating it after you finish the pizza. As for strength, well, as I said, they're made for cooking and baking. If you're afraid, get yourself a pizza peel (10 bucks at Bed Bugs & Beyond) or slide the aluminium pan onto the back of a steel cookie sheet.

One last thing; DO NOT PUT PINEAPPLE ON THAT PIZZA! Yes, Sicily is an island, but it is in the Mediterranean, not the South Pacific!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
First of all, use the stone or don't use the stone, it won't matter if the pizza is in a pan. I store my pizza stone in the oven, and if it's where I am going to put something, I put that something ontop of the stone.

Second, about the aluminium pizza pan. Aluminium cookware and bakeware are made for cooking and baking. The pizza pan will not poison you unless you plan on eating it after you finish the pizza. As for strength, well, as I said, they're made for cooking and baking. If you're afraid, get yourself a pizza peel (10 bucks at Bed Bugs & Beyond) or slide the aluminium pan onto the back of a steel cookie sheet.

One last thing; DO NOT PUT PINEAPPLE ON THAT PIZZA! Yes, Sicily is an island, but it is in the Mediterranean, not the South Pacific!
How true. I was amazed by the pizzas I saw in Hawaii. Spam and pineapple was a favorite. Maybe 'amazed' is the wrong word. "Stunned" would be more like it.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
So my investment in that Sicilian pineapple farm isn't going to pay off? Oh no!!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So my investment in that Sicilian pineapple farm isn't going to pay off? Oh no!!

Thank you for my laugh for the day. I needed some silliness right now.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Just a note of interest. See that thing hanging down the back of the throat? That is an uvula. My youngest son has a double one. His looks like a barbell. He also has a double coccyx bone at the end of his spine along with a couple of double spinal discs. The doctors think he was going to be twins, but the egg stop splitting. There is a God after all.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

On a thick, soft crust, like that found in a Scicilian piza, a large, cast iron pan works very well. It heats a bit more slowly, but continues cooking when you take the pizza out of the oven. It is sturdy, and will eliminate the need for a pizza stone.

A sturdy, steel cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) will also work. Simply place the dough onto the pan, place the toppings on it, and let it rise in place. When it has risen to where you want it, pop it into the hot oven. Brush the crest edges with a little watter or egg wash to get a wonderfully browned crust.

There. I've thrown in my two cents. I wish you the best of luck with your pizza.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just a note of interest. See that thing hanging down the back of the throat? That is an uvula. My youngest son has a double one. His looks like a barbell. He also has a double coccyx bone at the end of his spine along with a couple of double spinal discs.
You weren't abducted and "examined" by aliens before your youngest was born, were you?

Tags
pizza