Slow Cooker Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago Style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicago style pizza isn't really pizza, it is a casserole with dough, so a slow cooker should work just fine.

CD

Chicago style pizza isn't really pizza, it is a casserole with dough, so a slow cooker should work just fine.

CD
The meaning of the word “pizza” has expanded to mean a great many things. Deep dish pizza is one of them. And yes, it IS pizza. These days, throw anything on top of a flatbread, bake at high temp, and voila! It’s a pizza. A lot of what is called pizza these days would, by your way of defining it, be a salad on some bread.

I think I will stick with the oven, or the grill, if I don't want the kitchen hot!

I can see the bottom getting a slight crust on it, but not the top.

The meaning of the word “pizza” has expanded to mean a great many things. Deep dish pizza is one of them. And yes, it IS pizza. These days, throw anything on top of a flatbread, bake at high temp, and voila! It’s a pizza. A lot of what is called pizza these days would, by your way of defining it, be a salad on some bread.

Nothing can get people worked up any better that a regional pizza discussion. :LOL:

I have eaten the original style of pizza in Napoli. 100-percent authentic! It was amazing! But, I live in Texas, so I eat the same thing that everyone calls pizza in Texas... or New York, or Las Vegas. And, I like it.

I also like that casserole that people refer to as "Chicago Pizza." But, IMO, that thing ain't pizza. It is very good, and very filling, but it ain't pizza.

I callz them as I seez them. :cool:

CD

My fave pizza of choice (that I can get here) is thin crust, with a raised border of breaded and slightly charred air pockets, very little red sauce and just a few toppings...mushrooms, green bells, onions. Unfortunately, no one offers these here in town. :ermm::LOL:

I'm not crazy about all the thick bread...I get full before I have a chance to enjoy the toppings.

One of the best pizzas I've ever had, had no red sauce...just olive oil, thin crust, and veggie toppings.
Artichoke hearts...yum....

Last edited:
One of the best pizzas I've ever had, had no red sauce...just olive oil, thin crust, and veggie toppings.

That is called a "white pizza." It is the only kind my youngest son will eat. The Dominoes located in our neighborhood used to refuse to make them.

We have a place here called Santarpio's. They have been there before I was even born. It is a bar room that serves a limited type of foods. Pizza is one of then. In the summer the line goes around the block with people waiting to order their pizza. It has been rated #1 in New England for pizza several times. The only problem is that it is a "bar room." It smells of stale beer and odors of the food cooked months ago. If you can get past the odors, it is a great place to go for a quick meal. The Jukebox still plays music from the 50's. The ambience is there in spite of all the drawbacks. The best time to go there is in the winter when they have painted the place and cleaned it up. Sawdust anyone?

That is called a "white pizza." It is the only kind my youngest son will eat. The Dominoes located in our neighborhood used to refuse to make them.

A white pizza has either a ricotta cheese mixture or Alfredo sauce plus toppings. Cheryl had flatbread ;)

A white pizza has either a ricotta cheese mixture or Alfredo sauce plus toppings. Cheryl had flatbread ;)

The first "white pizza" I had was at Pizzeria Unu, when they were in their infancy, and the first restaurant they had (again, in this area), was over there across from the Valley Forge Music Fair. It had Italian sweet sausage, a ton of garlic, and mushrooms, topped with mozzarella. I had to duplicate that, it was so good! The first time I tried, I put 1/2 c minced garlic on a 14" square deep dish pizza, and it still wasn't as much as they put on it!! This became a favorite of mine, and some friends, who would come over for pizza nights, and tha white one was always gone by the end of the night. I always added some boletus to it, which made it even better!

GG, that's what I always thought, too. Then we moved to MA. I was so excited when a local pizza shop listed "white pizza sauce" on a couple of their specialty pizzas. Good thing I read the full description. Otherwise I would have been seriously disappointed.

We still haven't figured out all of the"foreign" words they use up here...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bubbler, clicker, rotary, grinder, jimmies, packie, and tonic aren't foreign words. And how else would you pronounce the town of Meh'fuh?
Bubbler=drinking fountain. Also called a bubbler in MN? Not sure which state up that way uses the same name.
clicker=You got me here. Maybe a remote control?
Rotary=traffic circle. We had these back in OH.
grinder=sub, hoagie, hero
jimmies=candy sprinkles. Now is it the chocolate-only ones that are called jimmies, and the multi-colored ones called sprinkles? Or is it the other way around?
packie=package store, one that sells adult beverages for in-home consumption
tonic=you mix it with gin. Then again, I think that might be what is called "soda" up here. Soda to most of the country means CLUB soda, or unflavored sparkling water.

Not in these here parts. Only Mozzy cheese and no sauce of any kind.

GG, during WWII, Eastie had a POW camp out at Wood Island Park. It held Italian soldiers that had fought for the Nazis. When the war ended, most of the POWs refused to return to Italy. They knew there was nothing but bombed out buildings. So instead they sent for their families. But the family members had to go through our own Ellis Island down on Marginal Street. (The building was torn down about two years ago. It was still in use 'til the 60's.) The women brought with them the recipe for pizza. It was our little secret until New York City decided to spread the word. Pizza shops started to open up all over this part of Boston and the North End. Pizza was cheap and plentiful. And a quick way to earn money to support the family. The wife made the sauce at home and the husband took it to work the next day. Brought home the empty pot at night to be refilled.

A white pizza is made the exact same way except for the sauce. And most ovens have been imported from Italy.

Back
Top Bottom