"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 09-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yeah, that's true. In Naples it's restaurant and street food. The typical Italian family doesn't own a wood fired oven, either.
If we are getting down to brass tacks about the original, it was done in one. Wood was the source of cooking fuel back then, I believe.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

This bakery opened near us last spring: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...39924819554319

The head baker is the former head baking chef/instructor at the culinary school I attended a couple years ago. Check out the fabulous pix of pizzas and breads from the wood-fired oven.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If we are getting down to brass tacks about the original, it was done in one. Wood was the source of cooking fuel back then, I believe.
There would not have been enough wood for each family to have their own wood-fired oven. They typically cooked daily meals over the hearth of the home's main fireplace. There were communal ovens that the entire village used; each family had their own pattern they cut into the bread so they could identify it later. The chef of the Bakehouse I mentioned said he wants to make that service available eventually.

More info: Communal wood fired masonry ovens - baking, bakehouses and communities
Old 09-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I would say you're correct. Although menumaker claims "simple is everything," the Neapolitan food police are actually very strict about what constitutes pizza in their town.

We have a place here in the Twin Cities called Punch Pizza that prides itself on following all of the same guidelines as they do in Naples for their "purist" pizzas. They've won some national recognition. I've seldom eaten there because it's hard to get in the door.

Food - Punch Neapolitan Pizza
Old 09-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There would not have been enough wood for each family to have their own wood-fired oven. They typically cooked daily meals over the hearth of the home's main fireplace. There were communal ovens that the entire village used; each family had their own pattern they cut into the bread so they could identify it later. The chef of the Bakehouse I mentioned said he wants to make that service available eventually.

More info: Communal wood fired masonry ovens - baking, bakehouses and communities
The original was done for royalty, which generally meant wealthy, so I imagine they could afford to outfit the kitchen any way they wished. Pretty sure there would not have been a shortage of wood in a nobleman's kitchen. I'm also sure that if it was prepared for royalty, in a communal oven, wood was available.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad you finally thought it through
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Master Chef

Easy guys, I think we might be scaring benedotta away! And menumaker, as Steve said, we here in the Frontier live a relatively modern life.
Actually, we've been meaning to try a certified Neapolitan pizza place that opened in Worcester (pronounced "Wooster") about a year ago. It was featured on a local TV station's "Chronicle" show that highlights places to visit and eat at in New England. Volturno Pizza must be great since a Boston-centric show actually gave rave reviews about their pizza.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This bakery opened near us last spring: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...39924819554319...Check out the fabulous pix of pizzas and breads from the wood-fired oven.
You are so lucky that you live close to that bakery. Rose32 is a bakery that makes its breads, etc in a wood-fired oven and it is wonderful! Unfortunately, "32" is not just their street address, it's about how many miles they are from us. *sigh*
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I genuinely did not mean to offend you or your countrymen Steve. I only meant that something that simple with just two ingredients can be really good and I certainly don't think of you as Barbarians. I'm half Canadian as it happens myself for heaven's sake.. As for the recipe, I guess I just do the usual. Make a pizza dough the same as was posted in the first place and top it with whatever appropriate is at hand. it varies from time to time.
Hope I'm forgiven? I'm going off on holiday tomorrow!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
what size spoon and what is "brewer's"?
Brewers YEAST. Probably not widely available in USA. In the 19th C, before the advent of dried yeast, it was common to go to the brewery to buy yeast liquid for bread making. At least it was in Britain.

The OP probably means this or brewer's yeast in translation means just yeats

Tags
pizza