Thin crust pizza knife and fork, or fold and eat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So we already have a thread about are preferences for thin vs thick crust pizzas.
So now, for all those thin crust pizza lovers,do you use a knife and fork ? or do you just fold it up and eat it ?

Just curious,

Larry

Im a fold and eat kinda guy, and it actually aggravates me when I see my son and wife use the knife and fork.( My daughter folds and eats like her dad)

Larry, I feel the same way as you. I use my hands and don't like to see people eat pizza with a knife and fork, although I keep it to myself. Sometimes, you get a pizza is a wet soggy mess and a knife and fork are the only solution, but that's rare.

When I make thin crust pizza, I try to make the crust crisp enough that folding isn't necessary. But then I don't make 14" pizzas either. My preference for homemade is about 6-8 inches, so when cut into quarters, they tend to be self supporting.

I agree with the majority that most pizza should be eaten by hand.

I can understand the problem with the front end flopping down, so you fold it to give it stability. But if you wait about 30 seconds, the cheese will cool down and the front end won't be so quick to flop on you.

I know, who can wait? Now I want pizza. :angel:

I don't know how common this is elsewhere, here in the Midwest thin crust pizzeria pizzas are frequently cut in small squares. Growing up, this is the only pizza we knew. Pizza was not served with school lunch, so there was no danger learning there was another way to slice pizza. The first time I ever encountered triangle cut pizza was the first time I visited in NYC (many years ago.) I bought pizza slices from street vendors. Quite wide slices IIRC. You learn to Fold pretty quickly. Very cheap lunch/ snacks too. They did not offer knives and forks LOL. Now that I remember this, I wonder how vendor carts Made the pizzas, or kept them hot and fresh. Those were large single slices.

(I think Chicago deep dish pizza might qualify as a knife and fork food. )

Pizza is always eaten by hand.

I don't know how common this is elsewhere, here in the Midwest thin crust pizzeria pizzas are frequently cut in small squares. Growing up, this is the only pizza we knew. Pizza was not served with school lunch, so there was no danger learning there was another way to slice pizza. The first time I ever encountered triangle cut pizza was the first time I visited in NYC (many years ago.) I bought pizza slices from street vendors. Quite wide slices IIRC. You learn to Fold pretty quickly. Very cheap lunch/ snacks too. They did not offer knives and forks LOL. Now that I remember this, I wonder how vendor carts Made the pizzas, or kept them hot and fresh. Those were large single slices.

(I think Chicago deep dish pizza might qualify as a knife and fork food. )

Pizza is always eaten by hand.

We have square cut pizza here. It is made of a large restaurant size sheet pan and has only sauce and cheese on it. The corner stores here have it delivered early in the morning. Kids on their way to school will stop and get a couple of slices for the breakfast on the way to school. It is almost a ritual. Then a fresh pan is delivered around two o'clock in time for when the kids get out of school. The bottom is almost as thick as a slice of white bread. But not thick enough to qualify as deep dish pizza. :angel:

We have square cut pizza here. It is made of a large restaurant size sheet pan and has only sauce and cheese on it. The corner stores here have it delivered early in the morning. Kids on their way to school will stop and get a couple of slices for the breakfast on the way to school. It is almost a ritual. Then a fresh pan is delivered around two o'clock in time for when the kids get out of school. The bottom is almost as thick as a slice of white bread. But not thick enough to qualify as deep dish pizza. :angel:

The first thing I ever ate that was called pizza was in the school cafeteria. It was made on a sheet pan and was about as similar to an Italian pizza as chow mien is to real Chinese food. It was a thick bread-like crust, with a barely flavored tomato sauce and canned grated Parmesan on top.

There was one pizza restaurant in the town I grew up in in Minnesota, but we never ate there. The first time I had pizzeria pizza was after we moved to Great Falls, Montana in 1964. The name was Sharief's Pizza and they cut it square too. Even today, Domino's cuts their thin crust pizzas square, but the regular crust is cut traditionally.

It was probably at Pizza Hut many years ago that I first had triangle cut pizza.

GQ. Kids will eat pizza any chance they get. :yum:

Come to think of it. So will I. ;)

Absolutely! I did it and so did my kids. You leave the house early enough you could get it while it was still warm. Then you go sit on someone's steps and eat it. I always only got one piece because my mother had made me something to eat before I left the house. I didn't buy any on the way home. I wanted to go get my big chocolate/vanilla frosted cookie at the bakery.

And Zagut, I will tell you a story that only my kids know. My mother would have killed me if she ever found out. After I would eat my piece of pizza, I would go to the corner store on Putnam Street and pick up a bag that looked like it was a kids lunch. I would drop it off at the corner store on Marion Street. I was running the numbers for the "Mob". I got paid a dollar every day. Then one day the cops stopped me and ask to see my lunch. Oh, oh. I was in trouble. They took me to the station and I kept my mouth shut. I never said a word. They let me go in time to get to school. Because I kept my mouth shut, they paid me $50. I gave it to my mother and told her I found it. She never told my father. And I never told her the truth. I was about 14 at the time.

My kids tell their friends not to mess with their mother. She has it in with the mob. Fortunately there is no more "mob" in Boston. :angel:

Although I prefer a thicker crust, on the infrequent occasions I'm enjoying a thin crust I'll cut the slice in half, eat the half with the crust first, then fork-and-knife the inside piece. I save the part with the fuller portion of topping for last. I'm strange, but it works for me. :D

I don't know how common this is elsewhere, here in the Midwest thin crust pizzeria pizzas are frequently cut in small squares...
Whisk, Ohio is part of the mid-west, yet most places in our old hometown sliced pizza wedge-style. The exception was Master Pizza, with the perfect not too thick/not too thin crust and toppings out the wazoo! THEY cut it into squares. Probably because it was easier to two-fist eat it! :yum: We did share a huge, round pizza cut into squares when we visited friends in St. Louis back in the 1980s. All I can ask St. Lou pizza shops is "what is up with American cheese???" :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom