"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, we had pizza before it became popular across the country. Every pizzeria made their own sauce with Roma tomatoes, and some of the old timers from Italy bought imported Mozzarella Cheese. Going around the corner to Jimmy's for a night of pizza for supper was not a special treat, it was everyone in my neighborhood's thing to do on Saturday night. The kids fed nickels into the jukebox and the grownups caught up on all the gossip.

We had a POW camp in Eastie for Italian POWs. The Italian women would make big pizzas and bring them to Wood Island where the camp was. The soldiers would let them in to give them to the soldiers. Some of the women even had relatives there. Every week it was like old home week. If a woman came from Naples, she would give her pizzas only to those from Naples.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The first thing I ever ate that was called pizza was in the school cafeteria. It was made on a sheet pan and was about as similar to an Italian pizza as chow mien is to real Chinese food. It was a thick bread-like crust, with a barely flavored tomato sauce and canned grated Parmesan on top.

There was one pizza restaurant in the town I grew up in in Minnesota, but we never ate there. The first time I had pizzeria pizza was after we moved to Great Falls, Montana in 1964. The name was Sharief's Pizza and they cut it square too. Even today, Domino's cuts their thin crust pizzas square, but the regular crust is cut traditionally.

It was probably at Pizza Hut many years ago that I first had triangle cut pizza.
We had a similar pizza in the school cafeteria, but it had chunks of ground beef on top, and mozzarella cheese. I liked it. But then again, up until I had Square Pan pizza, in San Diego, Ca. Sadly, the place no longer exists.

I loved Chef Boyardee pizza kits. I used to make them with my dad, and then with teenage friends. I tried one a couple weeks back, just for old-times sake, and was appalled at both the flavor and texture.I believe that what we grew up with plays a huge part in what we like and dislike as an adult. Me, I've always been an adventurist eater, always yearning for something new. But there are still some things, like a thick, yeasty crust that I prefer.

RP, Minnesota, Michigan, we probably ate very similar foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, we had pizza before it became popular across the country. Every pizzeria made their own sauce with Roma tomatoes, and some of the old timers from Italy bought imported Mozzarella Cheese. Going around the corner to Jimmy's for a night of pizza for supper was not a special treat, it was everyone in my neighborhood's thing to do on Saturday night. The kids fed nickels into the jukebox and the grownups caught up on all the gossip.

We had a POW camp in Eastie for Italian POWs. The Italian women would make big pizzas and bring them to Wood Island where the camp was. The soldiers would let them in to give them to the soldiers. Some of the women even had relatives there. Every week it was like old home week. If a woman came from Naples, she would give her pizzas only to those from Naples.
In this area we had Tomato Pie and it is still popular with many people. The Italian moms made it on bread baking days and the local bakeries always had a tray of it that was sold by the square.

What is Utica Style Tomato Pie

As far as the original question, I never met a pizza I didn't like.

Thick, thin, square, round, hot, cold, folded, knife and fork, plate or napkin doesn't matter it's all good and once in a while it's great!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
No folding, no knife and fork for me. I will hold up the point with my other hand if necessary, until it's eaten. The rest isn't floppy enough to need folding. I don't think I have ever seen anyone fold a piece of pizza.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

It looks like this...
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anyone fold a piece of pizza.
Me neither, except on TV and on YouTube.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Andy, be still me heart!

In Florida I can at get that, but I sure miss it!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cue the BeeGees and John Travolta.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It looks like this...
Thanks Andy. That's not quite what I was visualizing. I don't think our pizza is that wide at the wide end.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
We had a similar pizza in the school cafeteria, but it had chunks of ground beef on top, and mozzarella cheese. I liked it. But then again, up until I had Square Pan pizza, in San Diego, Ca. Sadly, the place no longer exists.

I loved Chef Boyardee pizza kits. I used to make them with my dad, and then with teenage friends. I tried one a couple weeks back, just for old-times sake, and was appalled at both the flavor and texture.I believe that what we grew up with plays a huge part in what we like and dislike as an adult. Me, I've always been an adventurist eater, always yearning for something new. But there are still some things, like a thick, yeasty crust that I prefer.

RP, Minnesota, Michigan, we probably ate very similar foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
My mom used the Geno's kits, but added pepperoni, green pepper mushrooms, and mozzarella along with the Parmesan that came in the kit. I think that's where si learned to like thin crust pizza. Feeding 5 (with two growing boys) on a single kit meant stretching the crust thin and piling on more toppings.

Tags
crust, knife, pizza