"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I don't know about the rest of the country, but we were regulars at a place whose name I can't recall somewhere around 1956. I knew it was a GOOD place because we lived on the east side of Cleveland and Dad would drive ALL the way to the west side to get our pizza. We'd have that treat every couple of months.

Here is an interesting history of pizza: A Slice of Heaven: A History of Pizza in America | Serious Eats
1905: First sold in a New York City grocery store (Gennaro Lombardi)
1912: Trenton, NJ (Joes' Tomato Pies)
1924: Coney Island (Totonno's)
1925: New Haven, CT (Frank Pepe's)
1929: Greenwich Village (John's Pizza)
1933: Boston (Santarpio's)
1934: San Francisco (Tommaso's) and Perth Amboy NJ (Sciortino's)
1936: Boonton, NJ (Reservoir Tavern)
1943: Chicago (Uno's)
1958: The first of the chains, Pizza Hut, debuted and neighborhood pizza shops started to compete with them, and sometimes lost out.

Let's not forget those box mix pizza kits our Moms could buy. The first mix on the market debuted in in 1948, "Roman Pizza Mix" by a Worcester, MA businessman, Frank A. Fiorello. (Pizza, History and Legends of Pizza, Whats Cooking America) The most enduring of the mixes was by Chef Boyardee, a Cleveland restaurateur.
Thanks for that interesting research CG, and I think most of us knew USA pizza didn't start in Boston.

1950s - It wasn't until the 1950s that Americans really started noticing pizza. Celebrities of Italian origin, such as Jerry Colonna, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, and baseball star Joe DiMaggio all devoured pizzas. It is also said that the line from the song by famous singer, Dean Martin; "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that amore" set America singing and eating pizzas.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-001

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #42
Master Chef

That was an interesting read, CG, thanks for sharing. It seems like pizza has been around forever here in the states, but it really hasn't - this topic really made me think of that. Kind of like sub sandwiches...I remember corner sub shops near the beach growing up, but that's a whole 'nuther topic!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
That was an interesting read, CG, thanks for sharing. It seems like pizza has been around forever here in the states, but it really hasn't - this topic really made me think of that. Kind of like sub sandwiches...I remember corner sub shops near the beach growing up, but that's a whole 'nuther topic!
Then start a post about your favorite sub shops. Like you said, another whole subject. But worth posting about.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #44
Senior Cook

Thin crust pizza knife and fork or fold and eat

In Italy where I live, we cut a manageable slice from the pizza and eat it with our fingers. Always.

Happy Easter

Di Reston
Old 04-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
In Italy where I live, we cut a manageable slice from the pizza and eat it with our fingers. Always.

Happy Easter

Di Reston
That's how it was when I had pizza in the home of an Italian friend near Varese.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
We had a similar pizza in the school cafeteria, but it had chunks of ground beef on top, and mozzarella cheese. I liked it. But then again, up until I had Square Pan pizza, in San Diego, Ca. Sadly, the place no longer exists.

I loved Chef Boyardee pizza kits. I used to make them with my dad, and then with teenage friends. I tried one a couple weeks back, just for old-times sake, and was appalled at both the flavor and texture.I believe that what we grew up with plays a huge part in what we like and dislike as an adult. Me, I've always been an adventurist eater, always yearning for something new. But there are still some things, like a thick, yeasty crust that I prefer.

RP, Minnesota, Michigan, we probably ate very similar foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We had squares of pizza in the school cafeteria too. Where I grew up, we had lunch ladies who could really cook. And while working in schools for many years, the pizza was always pretty decent. OK, at least edible.

As a child, I used to make the Chef Boyardee pizza kits with my great aunt too, and it was a real treat. Now I'm not sure I'd like it anymore either.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post

Happy Easter

Di Reston
Well folks you have heard it from a native pizza eater. Do you fold the pie slice so the end doesn't droop downward? We usually get eight to ten pieces for a large pizza. The slices are rather large in that the end will droop when you go to put it in your mouth. So we fold it in half lengthwise and go to town on that slice of heaven.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well folks you have heard it from a native pizza eater. Do you fold the pie slice so the end doesn't droop downward? We usually get eight to ten pieces for a large pizza. The slices are rather large in that the end will droop when you go to put it in your mouth. So we fold it in half lengthwise and go to town on that slice of heaven.
I can't eat that many pieces so I make sure they cut it into six pieces.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I can't eat that many pieces so I make sure they cut it into six pieces.
Good one Craig!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #50
Senior Cook

In response to Addie's question, Italians are not messy eaters. They like things neat, and they don't like 'la brutta figura' - to look bad. Anything that is difficult to eat is taboo. You simply wouldn't have a piece of pizza that 'drooped' at the pointed end. Not elegant to eat. So you cut pieces that are manageable and easy to eat in an elegant fashion. Italians are masters of style, and style matters everywhere you go.

Tags
crust, knife, pizza