"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 04-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
In response to Addie's question, Italians are not messy eaters. They like things neat, and they don't like 'la brutta figura' - to look bad. Anything that is difficult to eat is taboo. You simply wouldn't have a piece of pizza that 'drooped' at the pointed end. Not elegant to eat. So you cut pieces that are manageable and easy to eat in an elegant fashion. Italians are masters of style, and style matters everywhere you go.
I know that the pizzas Alberto cooked for us were only about 8" across, and baked in a 650° wood fired oven on his balcony. Took about 1½ minutes, turn 180°, then 1½ minutes again and they were done (and he was cooking for a group of about 12 people - 1 pizza per person). They were cut 4 or 6 ways and had no droop at all. It was from this that I decided to follow his lead and make small personal size pizzas when I have them for guests. That way everyone gets to customize it his own way, and the pieces are easily manageable by hand.

This works well if you have some nice wine to keep folks occupied while cooking.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I know that the pizzas Alberto cooked for us were only about 8" across, and baked in a 650° wood fired oven on his balcony. Took about 1½ minutes, turn 180°, then 1½ minutes again and they were done (and he was cooking for a group of about 12 people - 1 pizza per person). They were cut 4 or 6 ways and had no droop at all. It was from this that I decided to follow his lead and make small personal size pizzas when I have them for guests. That way everyone gets to customize it his own way, and the pieces are easily manageable by hand.

This works well if you have some nice wine to keep folks occupied while cooking.
But I want Root Beer, or Cream Soda. Doesn't anyone have any rootbeer, or cream soda?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
But I want Root Beer, or Cream Soda. Doesn't anyone have any rootbeer, or cream soda?

Chief, The Rolling Stones are crossing the pond for a tour in the States. From what I gather the tickets are about $400 a pop.

I only mention this because I'm using there words.

"You can't always get what you want."

And I'd like Cream Soda too.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Well, since I experienced that party in an Italian household, the wine was a given. They had a big gallon jug of red and a couple of bottles of white, and a couple of the guests brought more, so we had no fear of running dry. The 2 adolescent kids were drinking soft drinks, but with the pizza they were allowed one glass of watered down wine, fairly common practice in that part of Europe.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Well, since I experienced that party in an Italian household, the wine was a given. They had a big gallon jug of red and a couple of bottles of white, and a couple of the guests brought more, so we had no fear of running dry. The 2 adolescent kids were drinking soft drinks, but with the pizza they were allowed one glass of watered down wine, fairly common practice in that part of Europe.
Yeh, it's just me. I can't handle the flavor of any alcoholic beverages. It's just the way my tongue is built. NOw give me a good and refreshing drink, like sweetened pumpkin juice, with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, ice-cold, or a great cream soda, and I'm enjoying hte beverage. A cold glass of whole milk works as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crust, knife, pizza