"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Cook

ok

Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Cook

For this specific one i let the "wet" dough sit in a bowl at room temp for 3 hours so the yeast fermentation could get a head start. Then i just put it into my fridge for the next 36 hours. After 36 hours I balled up the dough (a little more flour was required) since it was sticky. I put the doughball back into the fridge for 6 hrs. When you are ready to bake take the dough out and let warm up to room temp (about 2 hrs). I bake on a stone that has been preheated for 1 hr at 550 degrees. This is a crucial step because pizzas are supposed to cook from the bottom up. Baking only takes between 6-7 mins. My recipe in the other thread yielded (4) 14in. pizzas so you may want to scale it down. I usually just halve it.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlund View Post
For this specific one i let the "wet" dough sit in a bowl at room temp for 3 hours so the yeast fermentation could get a head start. Then i just put it into my fridge for the next 36 hours. After 36 hours I balled up the dough (a little more flour was required) since it was sticky. I put the doughball back into the fridge for 6 hrs. When ur rdy to bake take the dough out and let warm up to room temp (about 2 hrs). I bake on a stone that has been preheated for 1 hr at 550 degrees. This is a crucial step because pizzas are supposed to cook from the bottom up. Baking only takes between 6-7 mins. My recipe in the other thread yielded (4) 14in. pizzas so u may want to scale it down. I usually just halve it.
Thanks. I will give it a try, this weekend!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

I apologize for my questions!

I went back to double check the recipe on the original thread and found that you had been very careful to give detailed instructions. My test batch is mixed up and in the batter bowl resting. I made a half batch like you suggested and am now scratching my head about the pizza stone. I have a cast iron griddle. I wonder if that would work or if I should just go with the hot oven and a steel pan, this is a zero budget operation.

......tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock..... until Sunday night.

Thanks again,
B
Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Cook

Is it a "steel" pan or aluminum? How thick is it also? Cast iron would work but how would you get the pie into it at those temps?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlund View Post
Is it a "steel" pan or aluminum? How thick is it also? Cast iron would work but how would you get the pie into it at those temps?
If I use the griddle as a "stone" I will make the pie on the back of a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal and use it as a peel to slide it onto the griddle.

The steel pans are regular pizza pans. I have three or four so I can double or triple them to make them thicker.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Cook

Use the griddle. The pizza pans do not retain enough heat so the bottom of the pizza wont cook well at all.