Tonight's slice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nestlund

Cook
Same recipe as before but this time i did a 36 hour bulk ferment, balled up the dough for a a 14in. pie and then put back into the fridge for about 6 more hours.

image-2008188395.jpg

image-2003868244.jpg

image-414650738.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You did that with all purpose flour?

Tell me more, that is the crust I have been attempting to duplicate at home.

I hear the Soprano's theme song starting to play in my head.

For this specific one i let the "wet" dough sit in a bowl at room temp for 3 hours so the yeast fermentation could get a head start. Then i just put it into my fridge for the next 36 hours. After 36 hours I balled up the dough (a little more flour was required) since it was sticky. I put the doughball back into the fridge for 6 hrs. When you are ready to bake take the dough out and let warm up to room temp (about 2 hrs). I bake on a stone that has been preheated for 1 hr at 550 degrees. This is a crucial step because pizzas are supposed to cook from the bottom up. Baking only takes between 6-7 mins. My recipe in the other thread yielded (4) 14in. pizzas so you may want to scale it down. I usually just halve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For this specific one i let the "wet" dough sit in a bowl at room temp for 3 hours so the yeast fermentation could get a head start. Then i just put it into my fridge for the next 36 hours. After 36 hours I balled up the dough (a little more flour was required) since it was sticky. I put the doughball back into the fridge for 6 hrs. When ur rdy to bake take the dough out and let warm up to room temp (about 2 hrs). I bake on a stone that has been preheated for 1 hr at 550 degrees. This is a crucial step because pizzas are supposed to cook from the bottom up. Baking only takes between 6-7 mins. My recipe in the other thread yielded (4) 14in. pizzas so u may want to scale it down. I usually just halve it.

Thanks. I will give it a try, this weekend!

I apologize for my questions!

I went back to double check the recipe on the original thread and found that you had been very careful to give detailed instructions. My test batch is mixed up and in the batter bowl resting. I made a half batch like you suggested and am now scratching my head about the pizza stone. I have a cast iron griddle. I wonder if that would work or if I should just go with the hot oven and a steel pan, this is a zero budget operation.

......tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock..... until Sunday night.

Thanks again,
B

Is it a "steel" pan or aluminum? How thick is it also? Cast iron would work but how would you get the pie into it at those temps?

Is it a "steel" pan or aluminum? How thick is it also? Cast iron would work but how would you get the pie into it at those temps?

If I use the griddle as a "stone" I will make the pie on the back of a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal and use it as a peel to slide it onto the griddle.

The steel pans are regular pizza pans. I have three or four so I can double or triple them to make them thicker.

Use the griddle. The pizza pans do not retain enough heat so the bottom of the pizza wont cook well at all.

Back
Top Bottom