What is the best pizza topping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say a pepperoni pizza is about as classic as it gets. In the 13 years I had my restaurant it was the most popular, hands down. Now, the quality of the meat has to be good, otherwise it can make a pizza greasy and soggy. Of course you have to have a stellar crust, nice balanced sauce and decent cheese. Every thing should be as fresh as you can get at the time. Like anything else... And when it is constructed, you should have a good ratio of ingredients so nothing overpowers the others....

In my experience I would have to say the most popular ingredients I offered on my North American style pizza were in this order;
xtra cheese
pepperoni
mushrooms
bacon
onions
green peppers
ham
Italian sausage
ground beef
green olives
sliced fresh tomatoes
red peppers
black olives
feta cheese
hot banana peppers
sun dried tomatoes
pineapple
anchovies

These were the standard toppings on my menus. I would agree that there are many other great toppings one could use, but I had to have a limit and didn't want to have to carry too much product...

Last edited:
I would say a pepperoni pizza is about as classic as it gets. In the 13 years I had my restaurant it was the most popular, hands down. Now, the quality of the meat has to be good, otherwise it can make a pizza greasy and soggy. Of course you have to have a stellar crust, nice balanced sauce and decent cheese. Every thing should be as fresh as you can get at the time. Like anything else... And when it is constructed, you should have a good ratio of ingredients so nothing overpowers the others....

In my experience I would have to say the most popular ingredients I offered on my North American style pizza were in this order;
xtra cheese
pepperoni
mushrooms
bacon
onions
green peppers
ham
Italian sausage
ground beef
green olives
sliced fresh tomatoes
red peppers
black olives
feta cheese
hot banana peppers
sun dried tomatoes
pineapple
anchovies

These were the standard toppings on my menus. I would agree that there are many other great toppings one could use, but I had to have a limit and didn't want to have to carry too much product...

I see. These are very nice!

Your friend,
~Cat

...I am having fiends over at my house and they say that i cant cook but that's not the case....
If your guests criticize your cooking they must be fiends. ;)

Andy's idea is a good one. If you have a nearby pizza shop that has a crust you like, you might want to check with them to see if they will sell you some of their dough. Make individual size discs for as many people coming plus a couple more. You can even par-bake them a bit the night before, then have them ready to top and bake, giving you more time to enjoy your company.

If you aren't spending time on making dough from scratch you will have lots of time to prep a nice selection of toppings. Rocklobster has a great list but there are a couple of our favorites missing - such as grilled chicken chunks, fresh basil, or artichokes. If you know what your friends like best on pizzas, you might have 6-10 different items already prepped in bowls the night before and bring them out just before guests arrive. Don't forget bowls with grated cheeses - maybe three, one each mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar. And if you have a pot of sauce slowly simmering on the stove top they'll be ready to get to work once they smell something yummy. Oh, and a bottle of nice olive oil and sliced garlic, or a bowl of Alfredo sauce, if someone wants a "white" pizza.

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how your pizza party works out.

I shall try a pizza party soon! I shall have many toppings to choose from as Andy suggested.
I think this is very much fun as long as we have the nice movie to see with this.

DA is blind but she does love old movies where she can remember these scenes and to hear the speech of it.

Your friend,
~Cat

Make up the pizzas with no toppings and have a selection of toppings prepared so your guests can add the ones they want before you cook them.

:yum: I do that all the time. My own family pretty much needs a buffet. Especially when all of the kids are at home. One loves mushrooms but hates onion, and then there is tomato for one and no tomato for another... Well you get the picture. Between 7 of us, I have to make 7 different pizzas.
It is no different than hamburger buffet. All the imaginable sides are on the buffet and people take what they want. The only difference is you have to cook it after they choose the ingredients they/guests like. Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm making pizza for dinner tonight. This is a white pizza with roasted garlic, roasted yucon gold potatoes sliced very thinly and fontina cheese. They made it at a demo cooking class and it seemed to be everyone's favorite so I'm giving it a shot.:yum:

I'm making pizza for dinner tonight. This is a white pizza with roasted garlic, roasted yucon gold potatoes sliced very thinly and fontina cheese. They made it at a demo cooking class and it seemed to be everyone's favorite so I'm giving it a shot.:yum:
Classic pizza for sure. Back in the 80's I lived in Italy for a couple of years and there was a pizzeria beside my bar that made potato pizza on very large rectangle roasting sheets. They would cut long strips of it off and you could pay an extra 1000 lire or two to get some prosciutto and fold the pizza in half with the meat inside......yummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diether
...I am having fiends over at my house and they say that i cant cook but that's not the case....

If your guests criticize your cooking they must be fiends. ;)

CookingGoddess
- I don't think anyone else caught that one!! Good one for this Halloween Season.

Back
Top Bottom