"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
What is the best pizza topping?

If there is anyone that could please help me I would like to find out what is the best pizza topping?.I am having fiends over at my house and they say that i cant cook but that's not the case,I am good at making pizza but i am looking for a topping that would knock that off they feet.I know that you guys have great and creative ideas on what i should put on the pizza,just remember any idea is fine

Diether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
It all starts with the sauce. From there you can mentally divide the pizza into eight slices. On each slice you can put mushrooms, pepperoni on the next, sautéed onions on the next, peppers and onions on the next, etc. What are some of your favorite pizza you have had? Make it half and half. Half with veggies for your non-meat eating friends, and sausage, pepperoni, salami, etc. on the other half. Let your imagination be your guide. Just don't get carried away with exotic foods like lamb's tongue or blood pudding. And stick you your standard Italian cheeses. Don't go off on some tangent looking for a cheese that is made only in the high Himalayas by an old goat herder who is the only person with the recipe. Stick with what you know and are familiar with. Good luck.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Cheese is a good starter. Then again, some pizzas don't have cheese. From there it is a personal thing. Personally, I judge a pizza place by their pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni being one of the most popular toppings.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
The best pizza is the Margherita: sauce (tomato puree, oliva oil, salt, pepper), mozzarella and basil.
Really good is also the Capricciosa: sauce, mozzarella, black olives, small artichokes, ham and mozzarella.
My favorite is the pizza with sauce, tuna, onion, red pepper and mozzarella.
Yes, mozzarella is everywhere. If you don't want cheese there is also the Marinara: sauce, anchovies, oregano and oil.
Fos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef
The best pizza topping is the one YOU like.

Sauce and cheese are as important as the crust.

After that, it's all a matter of personal preference.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
The Margherita and the Marinara are the true italian Pizza: the best pizza chef in Napoli does only Margherita and Marinara.
Fos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I like my pizza with cheese only. My mother used to make her own homemade crust and sauce and she used brick cheese instead of mozzarella. That taste really takes me home! You could smell her pizza baking all over the neighborhood!
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Sous Chef
Only the people that will be eating your pizza can answer that. At our house we eat the topping we like. My brother-in-law has stuff on his pizza that makes our dog leave the room.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
My brother-in-law has stuff on his pizza that makes our dog leave the room.

I like most anything on my pizza....the possible exception is fruit. I can eat it on a pizza but I prefer my fruit in other concoctions. Mrs Hoot will not eat anchovies. She says they are fuzzy.
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Putting anchovies on the pizza will guarantee there will be plenty of leftovers for your lunch this week. Since I have been in California I have only found three people who would share an anchovy pizza with me, and they were all Pilipinos!

BTW, remember that, if God wanted pineapple on pizza, he would have put Italy in the south Pacific!

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote