Which bread dough is better for pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
My daughter is having birthday party, this is a big one, her Bat Mitzvah. She is inviting her classmates with their mothers (girls night out). She wants me to pre-make individual size Pizzas and then have a buffet of toppings that they will choose and just warm it up in the oven. So, say 20-40 Pizzas, no big deal if i could make few a day or so. Start a week before. Problem is the week before is Passover, no bread at that time, not of any kind.
Our local bread store offers the solution, they will bake any size pizza for me using one of their doughs, the ones they use for one of their breads. They say that country white is popular. To me it tastes like a wonder bread (or whatever the name is?). I suggest focaccia dough to my wife, but she says that the store knows better. I doubt that.
I need your help. Tell me what dough to chose. It is an artisan bakery, their breads are wonderful. They are called "Breadsmith".

Which do you think the girls will like? :) I'm thinking the focaccia dough might bake up with those nice large holes that are great in bread, but not so great for holding pizza toppings.

Most kids I know really like Wonderbread! It's pretty much a blank slate, and sounds like it would work with any toppings.

The focaccia they bake doesn't really have holes. It's pretty solid bread. Dawg, I do her about girls like junk for bread, but there will be adults also.

It's for your daughter, I think the adults would be secondary. I like Wonderbread too, bet other adults do as well!

This sounds like a nice, easy solution.

Charlie, if I understand correctly, you want pre-baked crusts you can add toppings to at the party. Why can't you approach a pizza restaurant and ask them to pre-bake the crusts for you?

if the party is during Passover, methinks the issue is not where the crust comes from but is it leavened?

might google cauliflower pizza dough - if you going to do it yourself, recommend experimenting as early as possible to perfect.

I might take another tack and get par baked shells that are commercially available. These are amazing The Pizza Gourmet's Wood Grilled Pizza Crusts!

Pizza crust is not the same dough as many breads. it uses harder flour and has no eggs, etc. It's most similar to a traditional french bread dough, imo.

Specialty crusts may run a little more price wise, but you will get a better result.

Charlie, if I understand correctly, you want pre-baked crusts you can add toppings to at the party. Why can't you approach a pizza restaurant and ask them to pre-bake the crusts for you?

ahhh, if I had a pizza restaurant or simply any restaurant, I'd be in heaven. We have only one kosher bistro in town, mostly good for a cup of coffee.:(

I might take another tack and get par baked shells that are commercially available.
Pizza crust is not the same dough as many breads. it uses harder flour and has no eggs, etc. It's most similar to a traditional french bread dough, imo.

Specialty crusts may run a little more price wise, but you will get a better result.

It has to be kosher, cannot use them, unfortunately. :( Thank you.

BUt they do have french bread. Should I ask them to make it out of the French bread maybe then?

Last edited:
Buy a case of Boboli mini pizza crusts, which are already cooked. Put them at the beginning of the table, load the table up with toppings and cheeses, and put your toaster oven at the end of the line. Kosher Boboli are available.

If they all the pizzas have to be kosher you're not going to have much of a selection of toppings, unless your guests like cheeseless pizza.

Last edited:
My daughter is having birthday party, this is a big one, her Bat Mitzvah. She is inviting her classmates with their mothers (girls night out). She wants me to pre-make individual size Pizzas and then have a buffet of toppings that they will choose and just warm it up in the oven. So, say 20-40 Pizzas, no big deal if i could make few a day or so. Start a week before. Problem is the week before is Passover, no bread at that time, not of any kind.
Our local bread store offers the solution, they will bake any size pizza for me using one of their doughs, the ones they use for one of their breads. They say that country white is popular. To me it tastes like a wonder bread (or whatever the name is?). I suggest focaccia dough to my wife, but she says that the store knows better. I doubt that.
I need your help. Tell me what dough to chose. It is an artisan bakery, their breads are wonderful. They are called "Breadsmith".
I make pizzas with my ordinary white bread recipe but add a slug of EVOO as part of the liquid when mixing the dough.. May not be very authentic but it works for me.

Why not make the pizza bases before Passover and freeze them?

EDIT. Just seen your reply to Taxlady. Passover isn't for another month so make the bases now and freeze them. I freeze mine raw as I find the final pizza works better than if I use cooked bases.

Re Sir Loin's comment about cheese you can buy vegan cheese that contains no dairy not certain if it's Kosher but the label should tell you. But I expect you know that.

Last edited:
Buy a case of Boboli mini pizza crusts, which are already cooked. Put them at the beginning of the table, load the table up with toppings and cheeses, and put your toaster oven at the end of the line. Kosher Boboli are available.

If they all the pizzas have to be kosher you're not going to have much of a selection of toppings, unless your guests like cheeseless pizza.

Thank you for the tip. From the on-line list of it, it doesn't look like their Pizza is actually kosher, but one never knows. I called both the Boboli and the company that provides the supervision. Waiting for them to call back.

As far as toppings go, just because I cannot mix milk and meat it doesn't mean there is a shortage of toppings. There are plenty of non-meat toppings that I can use. The party is going to be Dairy anyways.

Well, it was a good try. Their pizza crust is not kosher.
So I am back to square one. Need to decide which dough to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom