"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I like to use Don Pepino pizza sauce.
Me too.
I stumbled on this sauce years ago. Anytime I see something new ( product, brand ..). I always give it a try. Didn't think I'd enjoy canned sauce so much. Now its my go to sauce

Its great when making an Italian hero ( eggplant farm hero) too.

Great taste, good consistency, not too salty or sweet, and not overly spiced.
__________________

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
For those of you interested in white pizza sauce, this was very good with my shrimp pizza the other night.
I love white pizza, but I make my own sauce for that. I tried a jarred sauce once and I didn't personally like it much.
__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,523
It is my opinion that pasta sauce and pizza sauce are two different animals. If you use a jarred pasta sauce on your pizza, it’s gonna taste like pasta, not pizza.

Our two local supermarkets have rows and rows of pasta sauce, but for pizza sauce there’s only two or three options. I prefer Classico. It tastes fresh.

If I’m making pizza at home on a prepared flatbread (like Boboli), I usually just spread a very thin layer of tomato sauce on the base and sprinkle it with oregano, thyme, and basil
__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
It is my opinion that pasta sauce and pizza sauce are two different animals. If you use a jarred pasta sauce on your pizza, it’s gonna taste like pasta, not pizza.
I agree. I like pizza sauce to be oregano-forward. And there are lots of red pasta sauces - it's not just one thing.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 529
I actually prefer a lighter-tasting marinara on my homemade pizzas rather than heavily-herbed pizza sauces. But that's just me.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I actually prefer a lighter-tasting marinara on my homemade pizzas rather than heavily-herbed pizza sauces. But that's just me.
Everyone has different tastes, but I doubt if it's just you

I didn't mean that I like a "heavily herbed" pizza sauce - just that I like to taste the oregano. To me, that's what makes it pizza sauce as opposed to marinara (more basil flavor) or spaghetti sauce (combo of dried bay leaf, oregano and rosemary and fresh basll). And all of them start with onions and garlic sautéed in olive oil.

Like the French béchamel sauce and its derivatives, a basic tomato sauce can become something else with the addition of different flavors.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Everyone has different tastes, but I doubt if it's just you

I didn't mean that I like a "heavily herbed" pizza sauce - just that I like to taste the oregano. To me, that's what makes it pizza sauce as opposed to marinara (more basil flavor) or spaghetti sauce (combo of dried bay leaf, oregano and rosemary and fresh basll). And all of them start with onions and garlic sautéed in olive oil.

Like the French béchamel sauce and its derivatives, a basic tomato sauce can become something else with the addition of different flavors.
Well, I just meant that I don't particularly like it

I like the taste of basil more than oregano.

Truthfully, when it comes to pizza, I don't like much sauce at all. Just a very thin layer. I'm like that with most foods. For example, on spaghetti or other pasta, very little sauce. On salads, very little dressing. On sandwiches, very little mayo. The only time I like a lot of sauce on pasta is if it's clam sauce!
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Well, I just meant that I don't particularly like it

I like the taste of basil more than oregano.

Truthfully, when it comes to pizza, I don't like much sauce at all. Just a very thin layer. I'm like that with most foods. For example, on spaghetti or other pasta, very little sauce. On salads, very little dressing. On sandwiches, very little mayo. The only time I like a lot of sauce on pasta is if it's clam sauce!
I'm the opposite - I *love* sauce! All kinds! Sometimes I even dip my pizza into more sauce!
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm the opposite - I *love* sauce! All kinds! Sometimes I even dip my pizza into more sauce!
My son's the same way
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #30
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm the opposite - I *love* sauce! All kinds! Sometimes I even dip my pizza into more sauce!
I never dipped mine, but I'm a saucy person too. I used to order Domino's thin crust with extra sauce back when we lived where we could actually order for delivery. Haven't had that option since 2011.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pizza, sauce

« Frozen pizzas | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.