A new pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Always Looking for the Perfect Pancake Recipe. Every time I think I made it, it comes out not quite the same as last time. I think the secret is the deft touch on the griddle when the bubbles appear and you started out with a mixing bowl of goodness. Is the fire under the pan the same, is therej just the right amount of cooking oil, does a couple drops water across the pan spitter across the pan the same. Was I distracted while stirring. what's the humidity and like wise the temperature or even my temperment. Cold butter vs room temp butter. Mild and balmy I've neffer weighed my eggs. So, who's asking. There is some suspicions the last day or so there is a jiggle in the DC search engine. I doubt it. Here's the Chief' s recipe I copied. Wth all of this, and don';t read this anything weird, I like to make waffles more often than pancakes. It just what it is. And any one in my house who knows me, long before I met the Chief's, I like making Pancakes at the weekend. Sometimes Dad doesnt crank up the waffle iron and then we have pancakes. While not clearly defined, waffles are for dinner, pancakes is for breakfast.

Dry

• 1 cup AP flour
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 2 tbs. sugar
    • 2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
  • Wet:
    • 1 large egg
    • 3 tbs. cooking oil
    • 3/4 cup milk
Instructions

1. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients, and whisk to form a batter with small lumps. The lumps will disappear while the pancakes are cooking.
    2. Heat a griddel over medium heat until drips of water sizzle on the surface. Rub with a tbs. of cooking oil. Spoon batter onto the pan (I use three tbs. batter per pancake). Cook until bubbles tart to form, then carefully flip. Cook another minute and a half or so, until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve immediately.
    3. These pancakes are not gooey, but are melt-in-your-mouth tender and fluffy. Very moist, like a great piece of cake. Top withsoft butter, then buckwheat honey, wild honey, maple syrup, or fruit preserves

Last edited:
Ok, yet again I post my basic pancake recipe. Remember, you can embellish it with fresh, or frozen wild blueberries, or bits of apple, or peanuts, chocolate chips, diced banana, broken pecans or walnuts, etc. If you want to, you can add a tsp. of vanilla, and maybe some nutmeg. Be creative.

But then again, these pancakes stand by themselves against all comers, with no embellishment. Try them, if you love them, I'm happy. If you like another pancake recipe better, I'm still happy. Chief Longwind of the North’s World Famous Pancakes

There was a time when my Dad would take me to my grandparents’ house. Now you have to understand. I was a skinny boy, and generally small of stature, so they were always trying to feed me. Of course, since I had boundless energy and used all of it, I had an enormous appetite. I would often receive for breakfast a bowl of Sugar Smacks, or a bowl of oatmeal, followed by 2 poached eggs, from the egg-poaching pan of course, and served atop a piece of toast, and finally, either pancakes or waffles.
When the final course was pancakes, my Grandpa would serve them up as he sang; “Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I ought to know, cause I like ‘em so, that I eat ‘em all the time.” He always had a big grin on his face as here served them up.
Of course, the pancakes I got in those fondly remembered days came from a ready-made mix, usually Aunt Jemima brand. But to a skinny kid, they were gourmet treats.
In honor of my Dad, and my Grandparents, I chose for my signature dish, pancakes. Of course mine are far different. But I still sing that little ditty that my Grandpa used to sing when I dish them up. “Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine...” I even made everyone at out church sing it before I would serve them my pancakes at one of our annual pancake breakfasts. That was fun.:mrgreen:
So here’s the recipe that I perfected (with help from my eldest daughter), and serve every year by request to better than a hundred folks. But for you, I’ll break it down to a recipe for just two, or one starving teenager.:LOL:

Ingredients: Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disappear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. You can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.

From the kitchen of the Chief

Chief,

I tried the Canadian recipe this morning. The teenagers cleaned their plate and asked for more. Mrs 40 C really liked it too.

I found the batter a bit too dry so I used 2 cups of butter milk instead of 1 3/4. I also allowed the batter to rest 20-30 minutes before using.

I have say and mean no disrespect, but I like it better than the original Chief Longwind of the North’s World Famous Pancakes.

The Canadian recipe is similar to the one that I use.

I never seem to have buttermilk on hand so I use a combination of skim milk and commercial sour cream. I omit the vanilla extract.

I think the resting is an important step. Some of the best pancakes I have made used batter that was made the day before and just thinned with a little milk prior to pouring them on the griddle.

Pancakes and pizza are the two things I miss most on my diet!

I wonder if it is because they both start with the letter P or because they are both round! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Chief,

I tried the Canadian recipe this morning. The teenagers cleaned their plate and asked for more. Mrs 40 C really liked it too.

I found the batter a bit too dry so I used 2 cups of butter milk instead of 1 3/4. I also allowed the batter to rest 20-30 minutes before using.

I have say and mean no disrespect, but I like it better than the original Chief Longwind of the North’s World Famous Pancakes.

From looking at the Canadian recipe, It looks very similar to my recipe, but with the added richness of buttermilk, which would require baking soda to ballance the PH, and leaven the batter. That's why I started this thread. I might just have to purchase some buttermilk so I can try the recipe. It truly looks like a great recipe. So no, no disrespect was percieved by anyone liking the Canadian recipe better than mine. My recipe was simply the best I'd used, or have had. It doesn't mean that there isn't something better our there, or that another person's personal taste isn't valid.

I will be trying the buttermilk recipe, and soon.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Steve; Have you tried my recipe? It too is very easy to make, not a lot of fussing. And the recipe is tried and true. I've never had anyone, except Charlie D, say anything but good things about it.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Hey, hey, hey, I never said anything bad about your recipe, my wife likes it a lot. It is just that my recipe is Better, that's it :LOL:

As the matter of fact my buttermilk pancakes are so good, the other day I made some, actually too many and we left them in refrigerator, when we came back 8 days latter, I threw some into microwave, they were as good then as they were on the first day. ;)

Hey, hey, hey, I never said anything bad about your recipe, my wife likes it a lot. It is just that my recipe is Better, that's it :LOL:

As the matter of fact my buttermilk pancakes are so good, the other day I made some, actually too many and we left them in refrigerator, when we came back 8 days latter, I threw some into microwave, they were as good then as they were on the first day. ;)

Charlie, you're a good guy. Now, if only you tied fishing flies, you'd be perfect.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The thing I know about fishing is to bring a good cigar, big enough to let everybody enjoy fishing without me bugging them. When my cigar would finish they'd be done with fishing, at that point we can all go home happy. ;)

Everyone knows the famous Chief Longwind pancake recipe. It's widely used and loved. But I also know that it's not the only great pancake recipe around. I just saw what looks to be a great pancake recipe here - Best Buttermilk Pancakes recipe - Canadian Living. Unfortunately, DW would balk if I changed from my regular recipe. I would love to know if anyone else has tried this recipe, and how it came out. I have a concern about using buttermilk recipes as DW is very sensitive to sour flavors. But this recipe sounds like it would be very rich, bursting with flavor, and from the listed ingredients, about the same texture as my recipe.

If no one has tried this recipe, and if you're in the mood, give it a try and report back for all of our knowledge, pleeeease.

Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have you ever mentioned what you use to pour out your pancake batter? I was looking on Amazon at some items and they all get good and bad reviews.

Have you ever mentioned what you use to pour out your pancake batter? I was looking on Amazon at some items and they all get good and bad reviews.

I just use a tablespoon. I put three tbs. of batter onto the grill for each pancake. At that size, I can get four pancakes on at the same time. It's tight, but I can flip those babies without them wandering into their neighbor's space.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup.

Some batter remains in it so I probably am using 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake!

My Mother used to use a Buchan thistle pitcher from Scotland. She mixed the batter in it and poured the pancakes from it. Leftover batter went into the refrigerator, additional ingredients were added the next morning. I keep that pitcher in my kitchen and think of her when I use it. It is funny the power we give to everyday objects.

I use a vollrath disher (ice cream scoop made for portion control)

I have them in numerous sizes, my largest one is 1/2 cup, and when I make waffle batter, 2 of these make a perfect sized waffle in my waffle maker.

I use a vollrath disher (ice cream scoop made for portion control)

I have them in numerous sizes, my largest one is 1/2 cup, and when I make waffle batter, 2 of these make a perfect sized waffle in my waffle maker.

Wouldn't a 1 cup measuring cup do the same in one scoop?

Wouldn't a 1 cup measuring cup do the same in one scoop?

Yes, but I'd have to scrape out the batter from the cup, with the scoop, I just use the trigger and the batter comes right out. This happens with one hand and one tool instead of two!

Back
Top Bottom