"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Good point.
I use my dishers a lot.

Tonight I made meatloaf, I like to make meatloaf balls, for maximum crust to meatloaf ratio. I use my big 1/2 cup disher, pack in the meat and pop it out on the tray. The disher isn't really necessary, but I like the size.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use my dishers a lot.

Tonight I made meatloaf, I like to make meatloaf balls, for maximum crust to meatloaf ratio. I use my big 1/2 cup disher, pack in the meat and pop it out on the tray. The disher isn't really necessary, but I like the size.

I use one to make meatballs.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
I too have several dishers, rice balls, tuna salad, cookies...I have 1/8 to 1/2 cup.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #44
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Somebody needs to show me a picture of a "disher". My expectation is a handle, with a squeeze trigger, attached to a stailess steel half circle, with an curved arm that slides inside the half circle to release the food withing, a scoop if you will. If that's the case, I have a 1 inch, and a three inch disher, one used for portioning out beatballs, cookie batter, etc., and the other to portion out food, such as ice cream, smashed spuds, bread stuffing, etc.

They work very nicely. You just have to be careful to purchase good quality, as the cheaply made ones are more hassle than they're worth.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Somebody needs to show me a picture of a "disher". My expectation is a handle, with a squeeze trigger, attached to a stailess steel half circle, with an curved arm that slides inside the half circle to release the food withing, a scoop if you will. If that's the case, I have a 1 inch, and a three inch disher, one used for portioning out beatballs, cookie batter, etc., and the other to portion out food, such as ice cream, smashed spuds, bread stuffing, etc.

They work very nicely. You just have to be careful to purchase good quality, as the cheaply made ones are more hassle than they're worth.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I have some of these, I have the black, red, blue, and gray. I'm going to get the violet one next.

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

I have some of these, I have the black, red, blue, and gray. I'm going to get the violet one next.
Ah! We called these ice cream scoops! All the lunch ladies in the cafeterias use 'em.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #47
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ah! We called these ice cream scoops! All the lunch ladies in the cafeterias use 'em.
LOL, yup that's what they are!

Every once in a while they get used for ice cream, but more often being used for other things.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

LOL, yup that's what they are!

Every once in a while they get used for ice cream, but more often being used for other things.
I want a purple one too....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #49
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I want a purple one too....
It really is purty isn't it?
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I want a purple one too....
I have the purple one...Shrek bought it for me on a whim...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.