A new pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Everyone knows the famous Chief Longwind pancake recipe. It's widely used and loved. But I also know that it's not the only great pancake recipe around. I just saw what looks to be a great pancake recipe here - Best Buttermilk Pancakes recipe - Canadian Living. Unfortunately, DW would balk if I changed from my regular recipe. I would love to know if anyone else has tried this recipe, and how it came out. I have a concern about using buttermilk recipes as DW is very sensitive to sour flavors. But this recipe sounds like it would be very rich, bursting with flavor, and from the listed ingredients, about the same texture as my recipe.

If no one has tried this recipe, and if you're in the mood, give it a try and report back for all of our knowledge, pleeeease.

Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This sounds very much like a recipe I've used now a couple of times. I LOVE buttermilk myself. There are a few differences in the one below, including more eggs (3 vs 1) and no vanilla (although I add vanilla, because I like it :)), but a lot of similarities.
The Best No Kidding) Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe - Food.com - 173284

And here's a recipe my father-in-law swears by. It's a variation of the one they use at their KC pancake breakfast. I just can't bring myself to add beer to pancake batter, though.
Beer Pancakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I think I'll take the Canadian one out for a spin. They might just know a thing or two about pancakes since they have all that Maple syrup.

sacriledge!!!!

that's like pretending there are other gods than the one true god!

i'm so ashamed... :neutral:

is it good?

I haven't tried it (but I might--I have buttermilk). I can vouch for Canadian Living recipes. They are extensively tested before being published. I make B&HG buttermilk pancakes (from the 1953 edition) when I make pancakes. This recipe is similar. My mom always used the B&HG recipe, she often added wild blueberries, tossed in a bit of flour before adding to the batter. My trick is to shake the buttermilk, oil, melted butter, beaten egg, and vanilla in a jar and then pour it over the dry ingredients when I make the B&HG recipe.

Last edited:
I picked up buttermilk and baking powder yesterday, so I'll probably give it a try as well. The recipe I've been using, while good, involves too much futzing around. This one looks simpler.

Just one question. Where's the blueberries? Lol, I guess that would be real sacrilege, eh?

I picked up buttermilk and baking powder yesterday, so I'll probably give it a try as well. The recipe I've been using, while good, involves too much futzing around. This one looks simpler.

Just one question. Where's the blueberries? Lol, I guess that would be real sacrilege, eh?

Steve; Have you tried my recipe? It too is very easy to make, not a lot of fussing. And the recipe is tried and true. I've never had anyone, except Charlie D, say anything but good things about it.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Steve; Have you tried my recipe? It too is very easy to make, not a lot of fussing. And the recipe is tried and true. I've never had anyone, except Charlie D, say anything but good things about it.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, no offense intended, but I'm a hardcore buttermilk pancake lover. I don't eat pancakes very often - twice a year, if that. But when I do, it HAS to be a buttermilk recipe. :yum:

Chief, no offense intended, but I'm a hardcore buttermilk pancake lover. I don't eat pancakes very often - twice a year, if that. But when I do, it HAS to be a buttermilk recipe. :yum:

You forgot the "Stay hungry my friends".:LOL:

O wise one with big shoulders. That is mighty giving that you offer a recipe instead or as an alternate of your Recipe. I have had enough pancakes that I Know what I Like and what Looks good and then, it comes to the Taste Test.

I mostly like buttermilk pancakes, made on a sizzling griddle with a little cooking oil and a dab of butter for them to cook on. Thinner and smaller in size, not big ones that fill the plate to the edges. ( You can eat more if they are stacked taller).

I tried your recipe once. or twice. It seems to have crept to the top of Fave recipes. Pancakes are a Sunday Treat, even if I get around to making them on a Tuesday. I use 2 eggs and and up the milk a little, not a lot. O, and I put in a scoop of buttermilk powder in the milk. I think the cannister says mix in water. Who reads the side of a can. Not sure that is quite your recipe. Any way, it works and for me, tastes great. A bit of variation from your original. I call it your recipe anyway. The only time I didn't call it your recipe was the day I sent a swirl of molasses once around the mixing bowl even though i HAD your recipe printed and sitting on the counter.

Sometimes I don't use any recipe. Not a good idea. There are reasons there are proportinate ingredients and then there are things that go too far afield.

I think the secret to good pancakes is to let the batter rest about 20 minutes after mixing and before baking on the griddle.

Real maple syrup. Blueberries if you got' em.

Always in for a good pancake recipe -Chief Longwind of the North I haven't tried yours - Recipe?
These in the Canada living look good, especially when I haven't had breakfast yet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom