"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. I have tried multiple recipes, burner temperatures and how long i mix the batters and every batch has turned out rubbery and thick. I can always seem to do the premix "bisquick" pancakes just fine. Do you have any suggestions to what I might do to fix these pancakes?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
Sous Chef

OK, it's simple, pretty old-school. 2/3 c. whole wheat flour, 1/3 c. unbleached white flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. double-acting baking powder (I use Rumsford), and whisk all dry ingredients together. If you want fiber, substitute 1/3 c. quick oats for 1/3 c. of the whole wheat flour. Add one egg and whole milk or buttermilk to texture. Whisk lightly, leave some small lumps. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to begin rising while the oil heats. I usually check the oil by flicking a couple of drops of water into the pan. If the water drops "bounce", it's ready. Should make about six nice pancakes. I top with maple syrup and plugra, European-style butter, or more raw coconut oil. It has a lighter flavor than butter, not as rich, but fruity. I also add about 1/2 tsp. oil to the pan for each new pancake, because I like to cook them hot enough to fry the surface, not just bake the inside. This is a very basic recipe...dress it up any way you like.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by new mom/wife View Post
I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. I have tried multiple recipes, burner temperatures and how long i mix the batters and every batch has turned out rubbery and thick. I can always seem to do the premix "bisquick" pancakes just fine. Do you have any suggestions to what I might do to fix these pancakes?
My recipe is similar to Gadzook's, but is a tad difference, as you will see. Both recipes will deliver light pancakes. I changed mine because the oil used in them makes them supremely tender and very moist, without being gooey.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes:
Dry ingredients:
Whisk together;
1 cup All Purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
1 tbs. double acting baking powder (I like Clabber Girl brand)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar (I use Splenda instead of sugar as I'm diabetic).

Add:
1 extra-large egg
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil

Whisk until all ingredients are wet. Leave small lumps in batter to make sure you don't over-mix. Place three tbs. batter on lightly oiled, hot skillet for each pancake (skillet is hot when drops of water skitter accross the pan surface) and cook over medium heat. Carefully flip when bubbles begin to appear on the top. Cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite syrup, jam, jelly, or honey. You can even dust them with powdered sugar if you like. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote