Another Pancake Question, Goodweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Yesterday i had a hankering for some pancakes and all I had was pastry flour and bread flour... both king arthur, could I have made the pabcakes from either of those and gotten acceptable results?

not GW here, but I do have extensive experience making pancakes:)

the most appropriate flour for pancakes would be pastry flour. But since whole wheat pastry flour is precious in my household, I use whole wheat bread (King Arthur) flour, rye flour, buckwheat flour, ground up oats, ground up flax seed, cornmeal, basically anything that looks like flour:LOL:. It all works fine for me. My technique may be different from GW's, but I can produce wonderful pancakes from most any flour. Go for it with what you have on hand.

Am with bethzaring, would use the pastry flour. Don't think the bread flour would work too well.

not GW here, but I do have extensive experience making pancakes:)

the most appropriate flour for pancakes would be pastry flour. But since whole wheat pastry flour is precious in my household, I use whole wheat bread (King Arthur) flour, rye flour, buckwheat flour, ground up oats, ground up flax seed, cornmeal, basically anything that looks like flour:LOL:. It all works fine for me. My technique may be different from GW's, but I can produce wonderful pancakes from most any flour. Go for it with what you have on hand.

That is good to know any flour could be used except bread flour. ;)

That is good to know any flour could be used except bread flour. ;)

just to clarify Lady Cook, I do use bread flour in my pancakes. I used to solely use soft flour, but when I ran out of pastry flour, I used bread flour and have been using it ever since. Can still make a mean pancake with bread flour:)

just to clarify Lady Cook, I do use bread flour in my pancakes. I used to solely use soft flour, but when I ran out of pastry flour, I used bread flour and have been using it ever since. Can still make a mean pancake with bread flour:)
oh I misunderstood. :ermm:. thanks for clarifiying it. :)

With bread flour, you get a slightly more chewy pancake, but that's only if you over mix it to develop the gluten. Using bread flour could give you some interesting variations. Just as you can make yeast-risen waffles, you might try making a yeast-risen batter with the bread flour to create something completely different. I would think that it would have a taste similar to danish, especially if butter was used as the fat.

I have used cake flour for pancakes. but you just have to make sure to handle them carefully when flipping as they are very delicate.

The reason I use all-purpose flour is that it gives me a very light and moist texture, while providing enough structure to hold the bubbles. Sometimes, pancakes will collapse after cooking when made with cake flour, just as a cake can if handled too roughly.

I have often times made multi-grain pancakes utilyzing rye, whole wheat, buckwheat, rolled oats, and even cream of wheat and corn flour. Pancakes are versatile, and my recipe produces a very specific type of pancake. I have other recipes for dutch babies, johnny cakes, fritters, etc.

Feel free to experiment. The worst things you can do are to produce a pancake that falls apart, or one that's a tad on the heavy or chewy side.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well I have succeeded in cutting the pancake reciepe in half and make good pancakes...
Now... tell me the secret...
Whats the secret to getting evenly colored, golden brown pancakes, like you get at IHOP? Is it the temperature or is it the pan?

It's the temperature and the timing. You must have a hot enough temperature to cook the pancakes, and yet not so hot as to scorch the outside before the inside has time to set up. When the temperature is just right, the bubbles don't start to form on the top until the pancake batter is starting to set in the bottom half. You flip the pancake when the bubbles begin to form and pop on top, and the bottom edges just start to lift from the pan. That way, the top is still runny and lays on the pan just as the bottom layer of batter did when it was spooned onto the pan. This allows even cooking across the entire surface, giving you the smooth, brow color you desire.

My dad used to wait until the bubbles turned into holes on top as they popped, signalling that the pancakes were done most of the way through. This made them easier to flip, as the set batter is firmer than is the half-cooked batter needed for a smooth surface. But they weren't as pretty.

That should clear things up for you. As to what temp is just right, well you just have to learn what's right for your equipment. My aluminum grill pan cooks perfect pancakes at a lower flame than does my aluminum, teflon coated griddle. And the heat generated by your stove is peculiar to your stove. You just have to get to know your equipment. A helpful tip is to guesstimate the correct temperature, cook a couple of trial pancakes, and adjust the temperature as needed. Even after years of cooking pancakes, I still have to do that to get the temperature just right.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. I have tried multiple recipes, burner temperatures and how long i mix the batters and every batch has turned out rubbery and thick. I can always seem to do the premix "bisquick" pancakes just fine. Do you have any suggestions to what I might do to fix these pancakes?

OK, it's simple, pretty old-school. 2/3 c. whole wheat flour, 1/3 c. unbleached white flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. double-acting baking powder (I use Rumsford), and whisk all dry ingredients together. If you want fiber, substitute 1/3 c. quick oats for 1/3 c. of the whole wheat flour. Add one egg and whole milk or buttermilk to texture. Whisk lightly, leave some small lumps. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to begin rising while the oil heats. I usually check the oil by flicking a couple of drops of water into the pan. If the water drops "bounce", it's ready. Should make about six nice pancakes. I top with maple syrup and plugra, European-style butter, or more raw coconut oil. It has a lighter flavor than butter, not as rich, but fruity. I also add about 1/2 tsp. oil to the pan for each new pancake, because I like to cook them hot enough to fry the surface, not just bake the inside. This is a very basic recipe...dress it up any way you like.

I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. I have tried multiple recipes, burner temperatures and how long i mix the batters and every batch has turned out rubbery and thick. I can always seem to do the premix "bisquick" pancakes just fine. Do you have any suggestions to what I might do to fix these pancakes?

My recipe is similar to Gadzook's, but is a tad difference, as you will see. Both recipes will deliver light pancakes. I changed mine because the oil used in them makes them supremely tender and very moist, without being gooey.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes:
Dry ingredients:
Whisk together;
1 cup All Purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
1 tbs. double acting baking powder (I like Clabber Girl brand)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar (I use Splenda instead of sugar as I'm diabetic).

Add:
1 extra-large egg
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil

Whisk until all ingredients are wet. Leave small lumps in batter to make sure you don't over-mix. Place three tbs. batter on lightly oiled, hot skillet for each pancake (skillet is hot when drops of water skitter accross the pan surface) and cook over medium heat. Carefully flip when bubbles begin to appear on the top. Cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite syrup, jam, jelly, or honey. You can even dust them with powdered sugar if you like. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom