"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

Bob Flowers' Pancakes. The World's Best just got better.

Well alright then. Here's wahat happened. I knew that seperating the egg into its componant parts, and then whipping the egg-white into an unsweetened marangue resulted in exceptionally light and tender yeast-raised, Belgian Waffles. So I took my pancake recipe and used the egg technique from the waffles. For all those who don't yet have the recipe, here's the ingrediant list with the technique.

First, the wet and dry ingrediants must be mixed seperately and then combined.

Dry ingrediants:
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
2 tbs. sugar or sweetener of choice (I use Splenda)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. double-acting baking powder
Mix together all dry ingredients with a wire whisk

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
1 egg yolk
1 egg white, whipped into a stiff froth
Beat together all wet ingrediants except for the egg-white.

Combine the wet and dry ingrediants, stirring as little as possible to make the batter. Fold in the egg white marangue. Cook immediately over medium heat (365 degrees F.) until bubbles form on top and begin to pop. Gently flip and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from heat and serve with your favorite pancake toppings.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Master Chef

It's hard to believe that these can get any better--the original recipe is wonderful--but I'm willing to give this variation a try! Thanks, Goodweed!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

P.A.B.
You are so welcome. I hope you enjoy them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Goodweed what a great tip to add to our very favorite pancake recipe
Thank you!!

I remember back in the days, you mentioned adding baking soda to the dry ingredients in case I wanted to fold in some fruits ( specially acidic fruits, like berries). Can you help me with the exact amount of baking soda to fruit?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
Goodweed what a great tip to add to our very favorite pancake recipe
Thank you!!

I remember back in the days, you mentioned adding baking soda to the dry ingredients in case I wanted to fold in some fruits ( specially acidic fruits, like berries). Can you help me with the exact amount of baking soda to fruit?
Thanks in advance
I can't give you exact measurements, but I can give you a technique. Before adding the fruit, taste just a bit of the batter. It should tinlge slightly on your tongue, like carbonated water only milder. Add the acidic fruit plus a half tsp. of baking soda. Taste again. Does it tingle the same way. If not, add a another half tsp. of the baking soda.

That tingling sensation is the reaction of the acid and alkalye ingredients releasing carbon dioxide into the batter (the gas that leavens the batter). Too much baking soda, or baking powder can give the pancakes an off-taste. But you want to add enough to produce the CO2 gas in sufficient quantity to leavin the batter as it cooks.

That's how I do it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North