Bourbon French Toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramydam

Cook
a.k.a. New Orleans French Toast?
This was improvised when I was visiting a friend at Georgetown and asked to cook for their "traditional" pre-Homecoming vodka, orange juice, pancake and bourbon breakfast; turned out well - far better than the pancakes into which the dear friend poured half a bottle of vodka; haven't really watched proportions all that closely, but who does with French toast?)

ingredients:
1 egg
milk
cinnamon
bourbon
bread (French is good; not too thick of slices or the centers won't cook)

whisk egg with about 2 times its volume of milk (a little less milk than you would normally use for French toast). Whisk in a shot or so of bourbon. Dip bread slices in this mixture, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and cook on hot buttered griddle.
Adding a little bourbon to the syrup won't hurt, especially if it's cheap supermarket syrup with no taste beyond sugar. BUT the alcohol in the syrup will not be cooked out, so probably best not to serve it that way to the kids. ;)

Ah shucks. :oops:

Hope it turns out well! Ihaven't made it many times for non-inebriated crowds, so I can't say it's always been rated by the most trust-worthy judges; still, I like it, and I try to preserve my taste buds if anything at such gatherings ;)

Back
Top Bottom