"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Classic American pancake recipe

Can somebody send a recipe for classic American pancakes please? I have a very good recipe for crèpes, but it's the all-American recipe I'm after, plus ways of serving them, sweet and savoury.

Many thanks

di reston

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Master Chef

This recipe will get you started.

It is Now Clear

Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
...it's the all-American recipe I'm after, plus ways of serving them, sweet and savoury.
The only American pancakes I know of are sweet, and served with maple syrup. I like this recipe myself:

American Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes about 14 pancakes

Ingredients
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 590ml buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
  1. In a large bowl, mix plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs, and then mix in the melted butter (be sure the butter is cool enough that it won't cause the eggs to curdle). Mix in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
  3. Pour the contents of the bowl containing wet ingredients into the bowl containing dry ingredients. Stir just until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. The batter should be thick and slightly lumpy. Set aside.
  4. Heat a large frying pan (non-stick preferred) over medium-high heat. The pan should be hot enough that drops of water sprinkled onto the surface will dance around for a second or two before evaporating. At this point, lightly grease the surface with a small amount of butter - just enough to make the surface shiny, but not puddle. Wipe off any excess.
  5. For larger pancakes, pour 60ml batter per pancake into the pan. American pancakes are somewhat thick, so it will be normal for them to rise. For smaller "Dollar Cakes", use about a third of this amount.
  6. Once the cake is golden brown on the bottom, it's ready to be turned. In general, this will happen once bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the cake and the edges look slightly dry. Quickly flip it over with a spatula. In the process of flipping, should any of the batter splatter out from underneath, just push it back against the cake.
  7. Once the underside of each pancake is golden brown and lightly pressing on it doesn't cause raw batter to ooze out the side, it's done. Remove it from the pan. Repat until all the batter is used.
  8. Serve each pancake with a small knob of butter and maple or golden syrup.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The only American pancakes I know of are sweet, and served with maple syrup. I like this recipe myself:

American Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes about 14 pancakes

Ingredients
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 590ml buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
  1. In a large bowl, mix plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs, and then mix in the melted butter (be sure the butter is cool enough that it won't cause the eggs to curdle). Mix in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
  3. Pour the contents of the bowl containing wet ingredients into the bowl containing dry ingredients. Stir just until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. The batter should be thick and slightly lumpy. Set aside.
  4. Heat a large frying pan (non-stick preferred) over medium-high heat. The pan should be hot enough that drops of water sprinkled onto the surface will dance around for a second or two before evaporating. At this point, lightly grease the surface with a small amount of butter - just enough to make the surface shiny, but not puddle. Wipe off any excess.
  5. For larger pancakes, pour 60ml batter per pancake into the pan. American pancakes are somewhat thick, so it will be normal for them to rise. For smaller "Dollar Cakes", use about a third of this amount.
  6. Once the cake is golden brown on the bottom, it's ready to be turned. In general, this will happen once bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the cake and the edges look slightly dry. Quickly flip it over with a spatula. In the process of flipping, should any of the batter splatter out from underneath, just push it back against the cake.
  7. Once the underside of each pancake is golden brown and lightly pressing on it doesn't cause raw batter to ooze out the side, it's done. Remove it from the pan. Repat until all the batter is used.
  8. Serve each pancake with a small knob of butter and maple or golden syrup.
That is one fine description of how to tell when the pancakes are ready to flip. And yes, I like your recipe too. DW prefers mine as the buttermilk adds a bit of a sour flavor to the pancake. She's not big on sour things.

I like both of them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, recipe