"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
I guess my real question is: How do you keep the fruit from tasting green or not sweet?

And how do you ensure even cooking with items such as bananas...or even apples?..............
~Kathleen
I can't help you with the bananas since I've never put them in pancakes. I do dice the apples and mix into the batter, but I've never noticed a crunchiness or "green" taste. I do notice the fruit being sweet, but that's what I like. I know the apples aren't soft like applesauce, but they don't seem to be raw when I bite down. Now I REALLY have to make pancakes for breakfast!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Cupcake

Apple pancakes sound great. I've never had them but now I want to try them!

I have had really good apple syrup but, half-way through the pancake, it feels too sweet.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
That looks so yummy!
thank you kath!!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I would think that a super pancake batter would be a good place to start, and when that is found, the addition of your fruit or whatever would only be an enhancement to the whole meal. I'm sure you are more than capable of finding or tweaking a basic batter to make a superior batter to your liking, and when that is done, start throwing the good stuff in!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Master Chef

Kathleen, we had apple pancakes today (DH thanks you for making me have a taste for homemade pancakes ) and yes, you can tell the apples aren't fully cooked. But that might have been partly because I forgot to peel them first. Oops! I suppose if you want to taste them but not have "crunchy" you could grate them into the batter. Just a thought...

Selkie, I've been using the recipe from my 35-year-old Better Homes cookbook with great success. Sometimes the basic, sometimes with a bit more milk for thinner batter...but it's always come out fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I suggest you put the fruit in the food processor to make it as smooth as possible...mixing in chunks of fruit in the pancake batter makes it lumpy...i have tried adding it and it never turns out right....i love pancakes and with fruits it make it a whole lot better...have u tried putting grated cheese on a pancake batter>? i did and it was good..
Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Personally I love freshness of the fruit in the pancake. And the fact that it tastes uncooked is an added bonus in my book. But everybody have different taste. Things like apple or pear I would grate on the big hole grater. Berries add individually. Peaches or bananas I’d either dice into small dice or thin slices. If you want them to cook more add them into the batter and mix well. That is what I usually do with fruits. Berries I add latter individually.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Personally I love freshness of the fruit in the pancake. And the fact that it tastes uncooked is an added bonus in my book. But everybody have different taste. Things like apple or pear I would grate on the big hole grater. Berries add individually. Peaches or bananas I’d either dice into small dice or thin slices. If you want them to cook more add them into the batter and mix well. That is what I usually do with fruits. Berries I add latter individually.
Charlie's one of our pancake experts around here. If you asked real nice, I'd bet he would share his batter recipe. Also, don't be afraid to go in a completely different direction. Try googling "Dutch Babies" recipe. It's a pancake cooked in the oven that is truly fabulous.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Cupcake

Thanks for all of the awesome ideas! I'm definitely going to be experimenting over the next few weeks. I really appreciate your comments!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks for all of the awesome ideas! I'm definitely going to be experimenting over the next few weeks. I really appreciate your comments!
you are very welcome!

Tags
organic honey crytals, pancakes, sugar substitute