"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Thanks for all of the awesome ideas! I'm definitely going to be experimenting over the next few weeks. I really appreciate your comments!
So does this mean I am making pancakes for dinner some time this week?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Charlie's one of our pancake experts around here...

Thanks Goodweed, you too kind.

In reality Goodweed and and i mortal pancake anemies. He has an awesome American pancake recipe that my American wife loves, I on another hand make typical Russian pancaces that my kids and I love.

But speaking of experimenting. It doesn't have to be fruit or berries. I like to add zukini, eggplant, carrots to my pancakes and instead of breakfast they become a side dish for lunch or diner.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Do you mind sharing your Russian pancake recipe?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
So does this mean I am making pancakes for dinner some time this week?
What a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
\In reality Goodweed and and i mortal pancake anemies. He has an awesome American pancake recipe that my American wife loves, I on another hand make typical Russian pancaces that my kids and I love.

But speaking of experimenting. It doesn't have to be fruit or berries. I like to add zukini, eggplant, carrots to my pancakes and instead of breakfast they become a side dish for lunch or diner.
What is the difference between the two kinds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Do you mind sharing your Russian pancake recipe?
Yeah, you need ideas for dinner. Please be sure that one kind has apples!

~Kathleen
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Master Chef

oh, gosh, try to search we had really long discussion about it, if you won't find then we can talk about.

In general mine are yougurt based and his - milk.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
oh, gosh, try to search we had really long discussion about it, if you won't find then we can talk about.

In general mine are yougurt based and his - milk.
Do you make yogurt-based blinis instead of sour cream-based? (I'm surprised I still recall the name "Blini"! )
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Master Chef

NO, for Blini I use milk, but in all the truth I have never been able to make blini as good as the ones I've eaten back in Russia, in rural areas, where people still know how to cook real Russian food, not the "soviet" style foods.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
...where people still know how to cook real Russian food, not the "soviet" style foods.
I wasn't aware there is a difference. I've never heard of "soviet" style foods. Only Russian traditional-style foods.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #29
Master Chef

Here ye, here ye. Let it be know throughout the cyber-land we know and love called Discusscooking.com that a distinguished member tried the pancake recipes (both now famous) provided by our own CharlieD, and Goodweed of the North for comparison and to determine which, if either was the better product. Said distinguished member called it a draw, pointing out the strengths of both. The recipes make two wildly different pancake styles, with the both representing best of class in their respective arenas.

Personally, I would suggest trying both recipes, and deciding for yourself which is the pancake recipe of your liking. Indeed, you may think they are both perfect, but for different occasions (that's what I think). And both recipes can be altered to make them your very own by adding various spices, herbs, fruits, and even, as Charlie suggested, veggies and meats to the batter.

For instance, I love the flavor of sausage. I also know that pork fat is lower in cholesterol and saturated fat than is butter. So, instead of adding oil to my pancakes, one time, I cooked the sausage first, then added used the sausage grease instead of cooking oil, and ommited puting butter on my pancakes. I also added a bit of extra salt, some sage, and a touch of red pepper to the batter. The result was abatch of pancakes that tasted like it had sausage cooked next to it. Served with maple syrup, I was pleasantly rewarded for the experiment. I've also added fresh blueberries, diced apple, whole kernel corn, and even M&M's to my batter. All worked very well.

Here's my basic recipe. you will find that you can add extra sugar, vanilla, or other flavorings and it makes a great cake batter. If you thin it a bit, then it becomes a pretty good waffle batter.

Goodweed of the North's World Famous Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar or Splenda (sucralose) sweetener

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 large egg.

Preheat griddle until water dripped onto the surface dances around.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a suitable bowl. Add the wet ingredients and whisk into the dry until the batter is formed. There should still be little lumps in the batter. This shows that you haven't overmixed it. Fold in any other fruits, at this time.

Place three tbs. of batter onto the pan for each pancake to make as many pancakes as your pan, or flipping skill allows. Cook over medium heat until bubbles appear on the top and begin to pop. Carefully flip the pancakes when the edges just start to lift from the pan. Cook for another two to three minutes. Serve with whatever you like to put on top of your pancakes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #30
Head Chef

Favorite Pancakes

Buckwheat, hands down. I think I was 21 before I knew there were any other kind.

Tags
organic honey crytals, pancakes, sugar substitute