"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I wasn't aware there is a difference. I've never heard of "soviet" style foods. Only Russian traditional-style foods.
It is a complicated comparison, or rather analogy. The Russian, historically, traditionally, Russian food was cooked in well to do, or call them noble families, while simple folk were suffering in terrible poverty and what they cooked could hardly be called FOOD, maybe food, but not FOOD, if you know what I mean, what I am trying to say, sorry I just do not have enough English in me to describe the feeling behind. With the revolution a lot of historically Russian traditions were simply killed, murdered alone with the nobility, alone with high society, people of high class. The power was given to a bunch of illiterate, uneducated, unrefined, if you will, people. They ruined all that was great and turned into a one big prison. As we all can guess food in prison is not that good. Thus term “soviet food”.
Sorry for the rent, I just read some historical piece about Russia and what is going on there today, so I am in a pissed off mood.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Master Chef

As far as pancake goes, yes indeed there was a throw down. David cooked both of them side by side and they were both great. You can search for that thread. One thing he had done on another occasion, but has not reported here was what happen to pancakes 2-3 days after they were cooked. Mine, after wormed up in microwave for 30 seconds, taste as good and as fresh as if they were just cooked. Something he could not say about the opposition.

Here is my recipe:

1 8 oz container of plain yogurt*
1 egg
8 oz of flour
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of baking soda
About a table spoon of plain white vinegar

Oil for frying.

Syrup you like, but not maple, jam or jelly and most importantly sour cream for serving.

Directions:

Put the ingredients into a bowl in the order they listed. Put baking soda into a big mixing spoon and poor vinegar over it, I usually just stir it with my pinky until reaction stops. Mix everything together well, so there are no lumps. Preheat the frying pan, add oil, the bottom of the pan has to be covered with oil*. Use your mixing spoon to put batter** into the pan. The pancakes are about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Cook on medium high. When first side is ready flip them and pock the pancake with the edge of your spatula, that will help pancake to cook inside. Look at the picture in my images.

I usually quadruple the recipe, and then worm them up for next 3 day for kids for breakfast. Thy love it. My wife also loves it. But will go with my competitor recipe on any given day because this is what she is used to. But hey, it’s only one of her against 6 of us (kids and I). We Win!

* you can use different yogurts, depending on the flavor you like, but have to be careful of the yogurts with fruit in them, it will change consistency of the batter, it could be compensated by adding flour but you have to get used to consistency first. I recommend using plain yogurt to begin with until you are comfortable with the recipe. My kids love Cherrie and Raspberry, and most of all Coffee yogurts.

* * You can simply spray the bottom of the pan with oil or wipe with very little oil, but they do not come out the same.

*** Batter is pretty heavy about a consistency of sour cream, maybe just a bit lighter

Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Sounds very good - Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Sounds very good - Thanks!
Hey I though you're ignoring me.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Given time, I get over it. I don't like carrying grudges.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #36
Master Chef

Good, cause I think I might be still upset. ;)
Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Apple pancakes sound great. I've never had them but now I want to try them!

I have had really good apple syrup but, half-way through the pancake, it feels too sweet.
I cook the apples in butter and a little cinnamon sugar before putting them in pancakes.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Charlie, what's wrong with maple syrup for your pancakes? What kind of syrup do you recommend?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #39
Master Chef

Maple syrop just doesn't work on them, taste weird. Any fruit or berry based syrop is perfect. There are a whole bunch of them in baking section, at least here in our grocery stores.
Important thing, add sour cream and if you want to be really outhentick some salmon caviar, or whatever it's called.

Hey, we should have you make both pancakes and tell us what you think you are a real chef, you will be objective.

P.S. By all means do try maple syrop if you want, but I am almost positive that you (or anybody else) would prefer jam/jelly or berry syrop.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I cook the apples in butter and a little cinnamon sugar before putting them in pancakes.
Wow, I've never thought of that before. Sounds great, CJ, I'll have to try that next time!

Tags
organic honey crytals, pancakes, sugar substitute