"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Maple syrop just doesn't work on them, taste weird. Any fruit or berry based syrop is perfect..........
Here I go again with a Trader Joe's promo, but they have a KILLER Wild Maine Blueberry syrup. More like a puree in a bottle. Just fruit, sugar, pomegranate juice and pectin. Sweet and simple. And OH so good!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
Master Chef

That sure does sound good, I better look for it next time I am in the TJ. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #43
Master Chef

But Charlie, I didn't know we were competing. I thought we were just making great pancakes and sharing them with the world. If you want to compete though, the pancake recipe I shared in this thread isn't the only kind of pancake I know how to make. I've made everything from the light and moist pancakes that I'm most well known for, to pancakes that come out almost like biscuits. I've made pumpkin pie pancakes, apple pancakes, dutch babies, various fritters, pancakes with crispy fried edges, chocolate pancakes, all kinds of fruit filled pancakes, buckwheat pancakes, corn pancakes, chinese pancakes (made in the traditional style and served with Peking Duck), sausage pancakes, spice pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, crepes, etc. And that doesn't even start to cover waffles. So if you really want a throwdown, I'm ready and willing. It would be a freindly throwdown though, with someone from this forum to test and judge the recipes we would provide. There would have to be some rules and quality criteria so that the various pancakes could be judged according to some standard.

Just let me know if you want to play.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
But Charlie, I didn't know we were competing.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Neah, we really are not competing. First of all what kind competition could be amongst friend, right? And second of all my pancakes (including eh, I cannot even begin to start counting how many different pancakes and crapes variety are made in Russia, I pretty much can make all of them, would have to travel to Russia for certain ingredients, but I all armed and ready) are hands down so much better so there is really no room for any competition. Have to admit though I have never made waffles, mostly because I do not really like them, thus I’ve never seen the need to do.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Neah, we really are not competing. First of all what kind competition could be amongst friend, right? And second of all my pancakes (including eh, I cannot even begin to start counting how many different pancakes and crapes variety are made in Russia, I pretty much can make all of them, would have to travel to Russia for certain ingredients, but I all armed and ready) are hands down so much better so there is really no room for any competition. Have to admit though I have never made waffles, mostly because I do not really like them, thus I’ve never seen the need to do.
Well said my friend, except for the waffle part. I could make a waffle lover of you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #46
Senior Cook

my favorite pancakes: buckwheat. sourdough buckwheat when i have sourdough starter on hand. with butter & maple syrup, and served with sauteed apples and a dollop of sour cream.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #47
Master Chef

Philso, Won't simple east starter do the trick? Maybe I'm thinking of different pancakes, but this is what I use for my buckwheat pancakes.

Speaking of buckwheat, I brought some to work the other day for lunch and this guy asked what it was. He did not know what buckwheat is, never heard of it, well besides some rasist cartoon that I did ot know anything about.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Philso, Won't simple east starter do the trick? Maybe I'm thinking of different pancakes, but this is what I use for my buckwheat pancakes.
yes, you can make regular yeast-risen buckwheat pancakes with regular yeast, but a good sourdough gives an extra wallop to the buckwheat flavor.

at the moment, i don't have a sourdough on hand. i typically have one around for a couple or few years, get tired of it, & then start another one up after a year or so. after having just posted some advice on sourdough a while back, i think i'll be starting another (more or less) soon.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
Master Chef

Interesting. Would you mind posting you recipe for the pancakes and the sourdough starter, please.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Interesting. Would you mind posting you recipe for the pancakes and the sourdough starter, please.
Ditto what he said ^^^^

Tags
organic honey crytals, pancakes, sugar substitute