Favorite Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maple syrop just doesn't work on them, taste weird. Any fruit or berry based syrop is perfect..........
Here I go again with a Trader Joe's promo, but they have a KILLER Wild Maine Blueberry syrup. More like a puree in a bottle. Just fruit, sugar, pomegranate juice and pectin. Sweet and simple. And OH so good!:)

But Charlie, I didn't know we were competing. I thought we were just making great pancakes and sharing them with the world. If you want to compete though, the pancake recipe I shared in this thread isn't the only kind of pancake I know how to make. I've made everything from the light and moist pancakes that I'm most well known for, to pancakes that come out almost like biscuits. I've made pumpkin pie pancakes, apple pancakes, dutch babies, various fritters, pancakes with crispy fried edges, chocolate pancakes, all kinds of fruit filled pancakes, buckwheat pancakes, corn pancakes, chinese pancakes (made in the traditional style and served with Peking Duck), sausage pancakes, spice pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, crepes, etc. And that doesn't even start to cover waffles.:chef: So if you really want a throwdown, I'm ready and willing. It would be a freindly throwdown though, with someone from this forum to test and judge the recipes we would provide. There would have to be some rules and quality criteria so that the various pancakes could be judged according to some standard.

Just let me know if you want to play.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

But Charlie, I didn't know we were competing.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Neah, we really are not competing. First of all what kind competition could be amongst friend, right? And second of all my pancakes (including eh, I cannot even begin to start counting how many different pancakes and crapes variety are made in Russia, I pretty much can make all of them, would have to travel to Russia for certain ingredients, but I all armed and ready) are hands down so much better ;) so there is really no room for any competition. Have to admit though I have never made waffles, :( mostly because I do not really like them, thus I’ve never seen the need to do. :LOL:

Neah, we really are not competing. First of all what kind competition could be amongst friend, right? And second of all my pancakes (including eh, I cannot even begin to start counting how many different pancakes and crapes variety are made in Russia, I pretty much can make all of them, would have to travel to Russia for certain ingredients, but I all armed and ready) are hands down so much better ;) so there is really no room for any competition. Have to admit though I have never made waffles, :( mostly because I do not really like them, thus I’ve never seen the need to do. :LOL:

Well said my friend, except for the waffle part. I could make a waffle lover of you.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

my favorite pancakes: buckwheat. sourdough buckwheat when i have sourdough starter on hand. with butter & maple syrup, and served with sauteed apples and a dollop of sour cream. ;)

Philso, Won't simple east starter do the trick? Maybe I'm thinking of different pancakes, but this is what I use for my buckwheat pancakes.

Speaking of buckwheat, I brought some to work the other day for lunch and this guy asked what it was. He did not know what buckwheat is, never heard of it, well besides some rasist cartoon that I did ot know anything about.

Philso, Won't simple east starter do the trick? Maybe I'm thinking of different pancakes, but this is what I use for my buckwheat pancakes.

yes, you can make regular yeast-risen buckwheat pancakes with regular yeast, but a good sourdough gives an extra wallop to the buckwheat flavor.

at the moment, i don't have a sourdough on hand. i typically have one around for a couple or few years, get tired of it, & then start another one up after a year or so. after having just posted some advice on sourdough a while back, i think i'll be starting another (more or less) soon.

;)

Interesting. Would you mind posting you recipe for the pancakes and the sourdough starter, please.

there's a current thread on how to start a sourdough from scratch. you could also try specialty gourmet ingredient shops or go online and order some starter from King Arthurs Flour.
Classic Fresh Sourdough Starter - 1 oz.
French Sourdough Starter - 5g
or
Sourdough Cultures

as for a recipe, i don't use one. but here's how i go about it:

use a cup or so of starter and add milk and an egg, then add buckwheat flour to make it a pancake batter consistency. you could also add a healthy pinch of salt and a small handful of sugar.

then you have to wait until it's all bubbly. i usually make it in the evening, let it sit out, and then throw it in the fridge before i turn in. by next morning, it's ready to use. i've also just left it out overnight. as you can tell, i just generally wing it. i'm sure you can probably google some actual recipes.

they're yeast-risen, so the consistency isn't anything like regular pancakes. they're fairly chewy.

hope this helps you out!

;)

Once a year when we are up in the vermont/ new hampshire area, we make it a point to go to Polly's Pancake Parlor.

You get a choice of different batters ( regular, oatmeal, buckwheat ..) and choice of additions ( chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut...)

My favorite were the regular batter with coconut. Although, the chocolate chip/ walnut ones were great too. Didnt care too much for the buckwheat batter though.

Polly's Pancake Parlor - Sugar Hill, New Hampshire

Mmmmmm

Frank has been creating some very yummy pancakes. I have always loved pancakes made with buttermilk, but he has made some blueberry pancakes with sweet milk. I'm sure everyone's ideas helped inspire. Thanks!

~Kathleen

buttermilk

Frank has been creating some very yummy pancakes. I have always loved pancakes made with buttermilk, but he has made some blueberry pancakes with sweet milk. I'm sure everyone's ideas helped inspire. Thanks!

~Kathleen
I also love buttermilk in pancakes,..it make it fluffy and rich which i love! and it is really perfect with plain ol' butter and maple syrup with a side of bacon!!

What is sweet milk?

Butter milk is the best for pancakes, unfortunately i cannot get any where i live, thus use of yougurt.

Yeah, I know, when I have time to do fancy things I make my own, some times I even make this special recipe, it is baked milk that is turned into butter milk. Very interesting taste. But most of the time i do not have tim eto play around. Actually planing to do that sometimes this week, i got some raw milk, it is soooo yummy.

But What is the Sweet milk?

Sweet milk is what great-grandma, who owned a dairy, called whole milk that was very fresh. With her, I'm sure it was likely unpastuerized, but it is what I call whole milk.

~Kathleen

Butter & Vegetable Oil blend Fried Buttermilk Pancakes... Silver Dollar size, edges extra crispy! Honey/Maple Butter and real maple syrup drizzle.

Back
Top Bottom