"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Butter & maple syrup, or strawberries/blueberries & whipped cream. Sometimes I add ingredients to the batter, chocolate chips, egg nog, or walnuts. Anyone tried adding pumpkin?

Had to share these with you all:

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...p?recipeid=545
(The banana split sounds oh so good.)

http://www.ihop.com/

I'll have this one. How about U?:)

Caramel-Apple Fruit Pocket Pancakes are drizzled with sweet caramel sauce and crowned with a gentle dash of powdered sugar. On the inside you will find warm cinnamon apples.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #32
Executive Chef

:D I like them every way described and some times they are good with some fresh fruit and a container of your favorite fruit yogurt dumped on top.
Also has anyone ever had a dutch baby pancake?

Old 01-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #33
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
:D I like them every way described and some times they are good with some fresh fruit and a container of your favorite fruit yogurt dumped on top.
Also has anyone ever had a dutch baby pancake?
Have never heard of it jmpcgrew, what is it?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #34
Executive Chef

:D You make a batter very much like popovers but maybe more eggs put it in a pan preheated in oven with butter it rises up the sides and gets really puffy it gets a bowl shape then you can put fresh berries and whipped cream apples sauteed in brown sugar,cinnamon and butter inside.Also you squeeze fresh lemon juice from lemon wedges on them.It has a very eggy texture to it and is really tasty.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #35
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
:D You make a batter very much like popovers but maybe more eggs put it in a pan preheated in oven with butter it rises up the sides and gets really puffy it gets a bowl shape then you can put fresh berries and whipped cream apples sauteed in brown sugar,cinnamon and butter inside.Also you squeeze fresh lemon juice from lemon wedges on them.It has a very eggy texture to it and is really tasty.
thanks jpmcgrew, sounds like the outside of elcairs or cream puffs. I like them stuffed with cheese mixture
Old 01-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #36
Master Chef

i like hot fruit sauces. strawberries, especially, and real whipped cream.
(simmer together fruit and water and white sugar, add a cornstarch slurry, cook till clear. add almond extract if you'd like, especially to cherry topping. blueberries are good.
for whipped cream, pour whipping cream and a little vanilla into a glass or metal 1-qt. measure and whisk till peaks form. whisk in sugar to taste.
real maple syrup is delicious, too.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:52 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Pancake Fixens

Surprise! :o
All these post and no one uses Honey!

I mix honey with butter, heat it up and pour it on!

Some times I will put a gob of Blueberry jam on the side. It goes good with the honey and butter.

I use Goodweed's recipe and have a question.

My grill holds 8 - 3-4" pacakes. By the time they cook, the remaining batter is very thick, too thick to pour. I added a little water, MISTAKE!! It killed the next batch of pancakes. They tasted O.K. but did not rise.

How should this thicking be handeled?
Get a bigger grill and cook then all at one time. :)

Charlie

Charlie
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 AM   #38
Master Chef

When the batter becomes too thick to pour, spoon it onto the griddle and spread with the back of the spoon. Also, make sure to use double-acting baking powder as one part of the leavening happens when moisture is added. The other takes place when heat is applied. I suspect that your thinner batter didn't rise as the chemical reaction of the baking powder was used up, and when you added extra water, you released the trapped carbon dioxide. The double action would solve the problem if that is the case. :D

Two brands of baking powder that work well for me are Clabber Girl, and Calumet.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 AM   #39
Sous Chef

I love pancakes, but they take so long to do a whole batch of batter (I am only doing one at a time mind).

I have been switching more and more to making crepes, much quicker.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:28 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Hi,

I like a mix from sugar-cinnamon on apple pancakes.
Or Nutella (you know? It´s a chokolate cream for bread) on normal pancakes.
I love on hot pancakes vanillia ice-cream with whipped cream.
Or vanillia sauce, chocolat sauce, cointreau, Eggliquer (verpoorten or made by my self).
Bakedapplemarmelade, mulled wíne jelly.

You can put cherrys on it, ..................................................

lg Tanja