Favorite toppings on pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fried fish

Washing Up
sorry, I don't want to embarass you.. lol

but you seem the expert.. what kind of toppings do you like on pancakes? Do you prefer real butter or margarine.. or do you like warm strawberry topping or real canadian maple syrup?

What do the rest of you like on pancakes?

real maple syrup - canadian, vermont -- doesn't matter, as long as it's not Mrs. Butterworth.

Honey or molasses are also excellent alternatives when no RMS is available. Ditto for blueberry preserves, preceded by slathers of real butter.

On pancakes-butter and maple syrup.BTW, banana pancakes if my choice.

On waffles-butter, maple syrup, strawberries and whipped cream.

I like to mix European butter with some brown sugar - heat until warm and sugar is melted (you can really control the sweetness you prefer this way) - put a tad of Kahlua in to add just a hint of flavor - more butter on pancakes then syrup on top of butter. Or some good Vermont or Canadian maple syrup and still European butter.

This thread reminded me that what I like most are Goodweed's pancakes topped by more of Goodweed's pancakes. pancake, have you seen his recipe on this board yet?

As an aficianado of the sacred cake, I am confident that you will become addicted to this recipe.

kitchenelf said:
I like to mix European butter with some brown sugar - heat until warm and sugar is melted (you can really control the sweetness you prefer this way) - put a tad of Kahlua in to add just a hint of flavor - more butter on pancakes then syrup on top of butter.

OMG -- Elf, you are evil. :shock: I would never have dreamed of that combo in a thousand years, and it sounds absotively fabulous!

That's definitely going into my Breakfast folder.

BTW, are you talking about that Plugra or Pluagra or whatever it's called? My town hasn't discovered it yet. I've heard it is measurably better than American butter, and I've also heard there's not much difference.

On my pancakes only real Canadian or Vermont maple syrup and only butter. Sometimes I make Norwegian pancakes then I serve with homemade blueberry syrup. On waffles, a relative of the pancake ( :LOL: ) I only eat with sourcream and jam or fresh berries.

EDIT ADD-ON: I am such a nut for REAL maple syrup, I have a small, single serving bottle which I carry with me to restaurants when I plan to have pancakes, I refuse to eat that fake stuff. The restaurants do not seem to mind either.

kitchenelf said:
I like to mix European butter with some brown sugar - heat until warm and sugar is melted (you can really control the sweetness you prefer this way) - put a tad of Kahlua in to add just a hint of flavor - more butter on pancakes then syrup on top of butter. Or some good Vermont or Canadian maple syrup and still European butter.

That sounds decantely wonderful kitchennisse, I will try that later this week (I made homemade waffles yesterday). Kahlua I do not have, but the rest is better. BTW I get brown sugar from Belguim through Trader Joe's, makes that C&H stuff taste like sawdust. Thanks for the info.

OK guys...now I am craving pancakes for dinner and the ribs are a brewing as we speak. PHOOEY!!

OK, questions here. Um, is there no real maple syrup in the US? Why is Canadian maple syrup so prized? Maybe I am jaded since it is all I have ever had.

And kitchenelf, what is European butter? And have you tasted Amarula? Try a little of that instead of your Kahlua. You will LOVE it.

Alix said:
OK guys...now I am craving pancakes for dinner and the ribs are a brewing as we speak. PHOOEY!!

OK, questions here. Um, is there no real maple syrup in the US? Why is Canadian maple syrup so prized? Maybe I am jaded since it is all I have ever had.

And kitchenelf, what is European butter? And have you tasted Amarula? Try a little of that instead of your Kahlua. You will LOVE it.

Alix, you go for the pancakes, I am on my way for the ribs.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I remember correctly, it takes a large area of maple trees and a long time of reducing just to produce a single gallon of pure maple syrup. We have many varieties of maple syrup on our store shelves but they're pretty freakin' expensive! I'd bet the farm that Canada has a LOT more maple trees than the U.S.! I'm jealous, Alix! 8)

DampCharcoal said:
I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I remember correctly, it takes a large area of maple trees and a long time of reducing just to produce a single gallon of pure maple syrup. We have many varieties of maple syrup on our store shelves but they're pretty freakin' expensive! I'd bet the farm that Canada has a LOT more maple trees than the U.S.! I'm jealous, Alix! 8)

DC try buying maple syrup at Trader Joes, it is about half the price of the big chains and for twice the amount. They offer Canadian (which I prefer), Vermont, and Maine.

Thanks, Norge! Unfortunately, we don't have Trader Joe's around here and good maple syrup runs something like $16 for an 8 ounce jar at Kroger. Maple sugar candy is a pretty hot commodity at the local arts festivals and we joke that it's almost worth it's weight in gold! :LOL: :roll:

DampCharcoal said:
Thanks, Norge! Unfortunately, we don't have Trader Joe's around here and good maple syrup runs something like $16 for an 8 ounce jar at Kroger. Maple sugar candy is a pretty hot commodity at the local arts festivals and we joke that it's almost worth it's weight in gold! :LOL: :roll:

Too bad, as that jar would be under $5 at TJ's.

My favorite are blueberries mixed with melted non salted butter. I like my pancakes burnt though. :? Am I alone on this? Is it WRONG to love over cooked cakes? I like the texture better. And its adds more personality to the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom