"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
Head Chef

Although kind of change of subject, i was watching the chew a few weeks ago, and they were doing different grilled cheese sandwiches. The one which made me most curious was a grilled cheese using brie, a smear of jam, chopped walnuts and thinly sliced green apples .

Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although kind of change of subject, i was watching the chew a few weeks ago, and they were doing different grilled cheese sandwiches. The one which made me most curious was a grilled cheese using brie, a smear of jam, chopped walnuts and thinly sliced green apples .
Oh Man!!! It's too late for me to eat. That sounds great Larry!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
Master Chef

Just to add to the great advice you've gotten here Larry, I haven't seen nutmeg mentioned - I LOVE a little sprinkle of nutmeg on my French toast. Never knew how good it was until I tried it, then I was hooked!

Just a tip for a quick and easy seasoning on the spur of the moment, if you don't have syrup or whatever, and want something on the fly. :-)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh Man!!! It's too late for me to eat. That sounds great Larry!
I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet, buts its definitely on my list of things to make/ try. My Aunt always made a baked brie, and I have a few times ( I love it). When I saw them making this brie grilled cheese, I had one of those " Why didn't I think of that " moments.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Challah works well for French toast. The best French toast I ever had was in England. It was deep-fried. I haven't made French toast in years...and since I don't eat bread, I probably won't eat it for years. Another thing I liked to add was grated orange rind and ground cardamom.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Thanks for the reminder Larry, I had a sandwich just like that once in a restaurant. It was wonderful but would be perfect with French toast!!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
Head Chef

Thanks for this thread. It was the perfect answer to the question "What's for breakfast?" I was in the throes of indecision until I read this thread.

My French toast is pretty basic. Batter made from eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon (no sugar in mine, because I prefer it with pancake syrup and that's all the sweet it needs). I don't soak it long, but then I usually only have fresh bread on hand. Today it was Sara Lee whole wheat bread. I usually get 6 slices (when I'm alone like today, I eat 3 and put 3 away for later in the week) from a batter made with 4 eggs. To batter the bread I dip it, flip it, flip it again then into the pan prepared with melted butter. Today I had it with a Hillshire Farms American Craft jalapeno cheddar sausage on the side.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

Use good Chalah bread for toast, maybe a couple of days old, especially if you are planing to make it "sweet".
I like my toast savory and do not use sugar or cinnamon, just a little bit of salt.

To make it a bit more interested, soak the bread, put it on a frying pan, cover with some sliced strawberry and cover with another slice. Fry on one side then flip and fry the other side. Just like grill cheese, serve with some chocolate syrup drizzled on the top, or whip cream, or better yet both.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mmmmmm what a delicious thread. I'd better get a drool rag handy for all the luscious ideas.

One thing I've noticed on the cooking shows (okay, Diners, Drive-ins & Dives) is that they use thick slices of dense bread.

I really like the idea of baking this dish. It actually reminds me of a baked strata custard. If you can do it with pineapple rings (mmmmm) then the addition of ham slices sounds good too.

Also, Allspice is a great condiment to use. I make my cinnamon toast with Allspice instead. To me, it tastes even better.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CharlieD, I like your idea of making your French toast savory. Savory sounds very yummy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote