French Toast Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You also may want to use a non stick pan. Less butter used and more direct contact with the pan.

Also the light amber of maple syrup is less sweeter. It has more water in it. The longer the sap cooks, the more concentrate the syrup becomes. So there is more sugar left undiluted. But the downside is that the light amber is the most expensive. :angel:

Randy does the French Toast here, and he also uses butter in the pan over a medium heat. Comes out perfectly toasty each time. :yum:

Around Christmas time he uses leftover Egg Nog as the base for it and Texas Toast for the bread. YUM (that is if there is any leftover...)

Sure, Eggnog is just uncooked custard. Good idea. ;)

My eggnog is cooked. The yolks are seperated, the milk is scalded and flavored with sweetener, vanilla, and nutmeg. Some of the hot milk is used to temper the egg yolks, and that mixture is poured back into the pan and heated while whisking to thicken the egg nog. Then, you just pour it through a fine-metal sieve, pour into a pitcher and chill for a few hours until cold. This gives you a smooth and creamy egg now.

For french toast, I'd mix the egg white back in before dipping in the bread.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

The mixture for egg nog (sans booze) is similar to the mixture for french toast. I wouldn't expect there to be much of a difference.

I've had eggnog french toast, good stuff!

I can imagine it is! Sometimes I sprinkle nutmeg over my French toast, but it seems to me eggnog would put it just that much more over the top, with the spices cooked into the bread and all. :yum: Too bad it's only around on the holidays. :neutral:

Last edited:
There's really no reason to wait for eggnog season, just make a simple eggnog with eggs, cream, vanilla, and nutmeg. Let it soak overnight and either fry or bake in salted butter.

Last edited:
There's really no reason to wait for eggnog season, just make a simple eggnog with eggs, cream, vanilla, and nutmeg. Let it soak overnight and either fry or bake in salted butter.

Good idea - that'll be on the menu for June when family will be coming in and out all month. That would make a nice brunch casserole, with a fruit salad - the kids would love it. :)

Back
Top Bottom