"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Head Chef

I agree with using Challah bread. My husband's family are Jewish and before that I had never eaten challah but its a wonderful bread. The first time I made french toast with it I was amazed! I prefer it to brioche for french toast because you get the same toothsomeness but a cleaner taste (although I adore bv\rioche too). I VERY rarely have french toast but it is a great breakfast when you have people staying. I also notice that one piece of challah french toast is very filling, where as the brioche toast is lighter....hmm, maybe the trick is brioche in summer and challah bread in winter.....anyway, for me its a great way to fill up my husbands family when they stay so I can justifyably leave them to fend for themselves through day while I am at work and feed them in evenings!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Senior Cook

challah bread is one of the best, but since no one has mentioned it, let me say that italian panettone makes one heck of an extravagant french toast. absolutely decadent.

and for the adults out there, try reducing or eliminating the milk, 86ing the vanilla, and go for the liqueur of your choice. curacao, hazelnut, kirsch...
yummy!

Old 07-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
and for the adults out there, try reducing or eliminating the milk, 86ing the vanilla, and go for the liqueur of your choice. curacao, hazelnut, kirsch...
yummy!
At a bed & breakfast site I found a recipe for French toast that used Grand Marnier. It looked really good.

Barbara
Old 07-29-2006, 05:48 AM   #14
Head Chef

When we were in New England used to make it with Portuguese or Hawaiian bread (seems Portuguese nuns went to Hawaii and started to make bread, or at least that is the tale) and they are eggy and sweet breads.

Now we use when we rarely make it (don't usually eat breakfast).

But if we want some, and cannot find challah, just make something else.

To us egg bread is the only way to make French toast.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Try spooning several spoon fulls of the egg mixture on to the toast right after you place it in the pan. It will form a custard in the middle. When bottom is brown flip carefully the toast will be tender.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I find that most bread makes pretty good French toast. I would have to agree that brioche or challah or any egg bread would be best, but I even like it with whole wheat.

I beat the eggs well, add a bit of milk, a pinch of sugar, and sometimes a drop of vanilla extract, then soak the bread well before cooking it in butter. I also add some of the egg mixture to each slice after it's in the pan.

It's important, I think, to cook the French toast rather slowly -- too high of a fire will cook the outside before the center sets properly and may give it a sulphuric, burned egg quality.

Also, I serve it with real maple syrup -- that brown goo you find in the supermarket is so overly sweet and odd tasting that it makes me feel sick to my stomach, although I suspect that the IHOP syrup is just as bad. If you have a Trader Joe's market nearby, they have great prices on real grade A maple syrup from Quebec.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

When making my french toast I always add a teaspoon so or more of orange juice concentrate and cinnamon to the eggs and milk. Yummy!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

Having been raised in a Jewish community Chahalla was the bread of choice preferably
at least a day old or even two then it was cooked in butter till nice and brown
The batter was one egg per slice and whole milk with any of the above Cinnamon
Nutmeg a touch of ap flour( I dont know why but it was done) and served with sryup or jam. After posting this I am hungry
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A favorite French toast in our house is banana-nut bread slices dipped in a mixture of beaten egg, whole milk, a bit of granulated sugar and vanilla, then cooked in a pan lightly coated with vegetable oil. Then, I serve with butter and maple syrup. Yum.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Last week I wanted French toast but I didn't have any butter. I love butter on it. I decided that since I didn't have butter I would add a little extra flavor to it, so I added a little black walnut extract to the egg and milk then I cooked the French toast as usual. I was amazed! If I hadn't known better I would have thought each piece had a big pat of butter on it!

Barbara