"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
After posting this I am hungry
Me too! Unfortunately the only French toast ingredient I have is the bread!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Found the stuffed french toast recipe from IHOP.
  • 3/4 cup softened Cream Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Orange Marmalade
  • 2 tbs Honey
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup Fresh Orange juice
  • 12 slices slightly frozen thick bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Sweet ButterMilk Bread
  • Confections Sugar to garnish and fresh orange slices.
  1. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, marmalade and honey and gently stir until just combined. In a shallow, medium bowl, whisk together eggs and orange juice.
  2. Spread each slice of bread with cream cheese mixture and top with another slice of bread. Dip the sandwiches into to egg mixture and place in a large, lightly buttered frying pan. Cook until browned on both sides. Cut into triangles and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve immediately with orange slices. Serves 6 people.
My version:
4 Texas toast
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp milk
lots of butter in pan
topped with maple syrup, cool whip and fresh strawberries

I'm hungry now!!!!

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #23
Master Chef
All of the above recipes make great french toast. The technique is the important part. The flavorings can be adjusted as you like.

MIne are made with whole-wheat bread. It is usually a little more dense and is sturdyer than its white cousin. It is also more nutritious and still gives you an outstanding final flavor. Here's my recipe:

1 large egg
1/8 cup (3 tbs.) 2% milk
2 tbs. Splenda (or sugar)
1 tbs. ground cinamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbs. Sweet Cream Butter
4 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread

Preheat clean griddle over medium heat. Whisk together the egg and milk until slightly frothy. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the butter and whisk in until incorporated.

Place 1 slice of bread into the batter and let soak while you put the butter on the skillet. Turn the bread over and press to submerge completely. REmove and place immediately on the buttered skillet. Repeat for the other two slices. Pour equal amounts of the remaining batter onto the uncooked side of the cooking french toast slices. Cook for about two minutes and then flip. Cook again for about two minutes and flip again. Flip one more time and plate.

Alternatively, you can brown the french toast on a skillet and then place onto a cookie-sheet and put into a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes to finish.

You can top this version of french toast with your favorite syrup (pure maple is my favorite), good berry preserves, peanute butter and jelly, fruit pie filling, or just butter and dust with powdered sugar.

A favorite in our house is after flipping for the first time, place velveeta cheese slice on the cooked side of 2 slices of the french toast. Flip the other 2 slices, cooked side down, on top of the cheese covered slices and finish cooking as you would for a grilled cheese sandwich. Plate and top with syrup. You can also place shaved ham, bacon, or breadfast sausage patties on top of the cheese as well.

To make stuffed french toast, choose thick sliced whole grain breat and cut a pocket into the middle. Fill with any combination of sweetened cream cheese and cooked fruit. Dip into the egg batter and cook as for regular french toast. Finish in the oven to make sure everything is cooked through. Dust with powdered sugar and plate.

Try several of the reicpes posted on this thread. See which ones are your favorites. There is no "best" recipe. The best one is the one you like the most.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #24
Head Chef
Thick break, egg yolks only! a little sugar, cream and cinnamon. Let the bread get really saturated in the mix. Lay on a medium hot griddle and cover to trap the steam. Turn, and cover. The inside will be custard-like....
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #25
Master Chef
We buy Texas Toast at the Dolly Madison outlet store. It's just regular white bread that is sliced about twice as thick as the regular kind. I've seen it at grocery stores, too. You just have to look for it.
Frankly, I prefer French bread, though. We don't have access to challah or brioche here.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #26
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
If you slice your Challah and let it sit out overnight, it will get good and dry, the better to sop up the egg mixture. Then, get up an extra half hour or so early, and put the bread to soak in the egg mixture for about an hour.

When you fry the french toast, it will puff up like a souffle! Extra yum.

When I make our New Year's Challah, I put in an extra egg and dried apricots that I've macerated in orange juice overnight. That bread makes an unbelievable French Toast! You also can't go wrong if you add a Tablespoon of Cointreau to the egg mixture.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #27
Executive Chef
I add lemon zest and juice of one lemon to my french toast batter.Its really good.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Found the stuffed french toast recipe from IHOP.
O.M.G.! I love you! heh. I was just thinking that I really want some of the stuffed french toast from Ihop and was about to do a search to see if I could find a recipe. Thank you so much for posting this!
MsAnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #29
Assistant Cook
I just have one request - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T use that yucky imitation syrup on good french toast! If you're going to make it (or pancakes), please use the real stuff! Your family will love you.
purselamplady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
An option in the Betty Crocker cookbook is to bake French toast at 500 degrees for a few minutes on each side. Comes out perfectly browned, you can cook a lot at once, and I have a tendency to burn French toast, grilled cheese, etc., so this works great for me.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote