"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Old 07-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
French toast experts needed

I love french toast. I absolutely love it.

And for the past month or so, I've been trying so hard to replicate IHOP's French Toast. I've gotten the recipe/ingrediants that they use, and said that they use either Texas Toast or Egg Bread as the bread.

There is a picture of exactly what I wish to replicate. (It's to big for forums)

Now, from what I've seen and read, I believe that is texas toast. Texas toast have soft sides, soft center, and being thick to absorb the eggs, and other ingrediants used in french toast. If it is texas toast, what kind is it? I've heard most texas toast comes with garlic and buttered, do I want to find a buttered version, or just a no-garlic no-butter no-anything texas toast? And would I be able to find it at say Tom Thumb, Krogers, Albertsons?

Lastly, how exactly do you cook it? I've tried before, you mix the ingrediants together, then dip the bread in one side, flip it, and put it on the skillet, but it just doesn't seem right. From the picture, it looks like the ingrediants are INSIDE the bread.

AdamskiAirsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Cook
I find that if I leave my bread slice out over night (As per Alton Brown) that I get much better results. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of Bread I use however. I like French Bread the most or a Cinnamon Bread.. Either way, other than the bread getting stale, I do everything just like you do..

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook
I make french toast and use about 1 egg per slice of bread and a couple TBS of milk per egg. I put the bread in the egg and turn to absorb as much egg as possible.... It is soggy and hard to move except with a spatula. I fry it in butter on both sides to a nice brown and is well cooked inside.... put on the lid to make sure at the end. I use homemade bread which is denser than store breads. Be sure to add a bit of salt to the egg/milk. I like the toast with jam but my children like butter and powdered sugar. Some like butter and honey or maple syrup.
Homemade bread or any unsliced bread can be cut thick to make like "texas toast". I've made it this way for 60 yrs.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Sous Chef
Egg loaf/bread (Challah) I find is the best bread for French toast. I whip up a couple of eggs, about 1/2-1 cup of milk. Slice the bread a little thicker than when it's bought already sliced. Soak bread in egg, milk mixture, until quite soggy. Fry in butter or margarine until brown on both sides. My husband likes maple syrup on his, I like jam or even a sprinkling of sugar. I always make extra and keep it in the fridge to eat either cold or warmed in the toaster oven.
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I dip my bread ( what ever kind I have on hand) in a mixture of eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and then fry it in lots of butter. ( sometimes.. nutmeg instead of cinnamon)

Syrup and butter on top after it's done
or for a special treat peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam.

Think we'll have some for breakfast tomorrow! Yummy!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef
it's a brioche bread

Brioche is very buttery to begin with. If you cannot get your hands on brioche and are not inclined to make it, challah will be a good substitute.

When I make french toast, I leave the bread out, overnight, unwrapped and spread apart, a bit. Let the air get to the slices, it keeps the milk/egg mixture from soaking the bread to a sponge.

Always use more egg than milk (use whole milk). After that, add what you like. I like cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, orange zest and brandy. Since the bread is getting stale, you can let it soak for a bit longer than really fresh bread. A minute should be fine.

Make sure your grill is hot and buttered...lift out the bread, let the excess egg drip off and place it on the grill. Flip it after a couple of minutes.

The egg has soaked into the bread, almost like a bread pudding. You have to cook it long enough to cook or set the egg, which is what you are referring to when you say it seems like the mixture is inside the bread.

Good luck.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Pds you make yours almost the same way I do. I put cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to my egg. No milk goes into my egg though because of my sons allergy. I like syrup on mine. But if I'm out of syrup I'll use brown sugar.

As far as bread goes I'll use white, challah or any other egg bread. Sometimes even potato bread. Yes seriously.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
i use a somewhat thick sliced, very light crust italian white loaf. maier's brand, to be exact.

then i use a whisk to whip an egg and a tsp+ of 2% milk (per slice of bread), until it just begins to incorporate air and retain bubbles.

the bread is soaked in the whipped milk and eggs for about 30 seconds a side, turning twice on each side while a non-stick skillet is prepared on medium high, and a pat of butter per slice is melted.

the soaked bread is carefully placed into the pan, and is cooked for about 1 minute on each side, turning twice, until it is nicely golden on the outside, warm, moist but cooked thru on the inside.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #9
Senior Cook
I'm fairly certain that Texas Toast is just thickly sliced white bread. I would NOT use the garlic Texas Toast that you get in the freezer section, as this would probably not taste very good...plus, it's already toasted.

Follow the suggestions of the previous posts and use a good thick-sliced egg bread, or challah, or brioche. A sturdy bread, in other words. If it's a bit stale, it will a) soak up more of your egg/milk mixture, and b) not fall to pieces after it's soaked.

I mix one egg with about 3 TBSP of milk, a heavy few dashes of cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla extract. That will get you two slices of french toast, depending on how thick your slices are. Soak BOTH sides of the bread, and let each side sit for a few secons to ensure it soaks all the way through.

Make sure your griddle is buttered and HOT (but not too hot)....I heat mine thoroughly to medium. You don't want to sear your toast and have it soggy in the middle (hehe, medium rare french toast!) .

Happy toasting!
unmuzzleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon
When my aunt worked at a restaurant they taught her to always use frozen bread to make French toast. I started doing that, and it works great.

One Christmas season I discovered that I love French toast made with egg nog instead of milk. You have to be careful not to burn it because of the sugar in it.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote