Gingerbread pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I'm working on gingerbread pancakes. I worked on this some time back, but could not get any ginger taste (despite using 2-4T per 1/2 cup of flour). The problem had to have been old/bad ginger. I now have some fresh powdered ginger, and I'm starting again.

Here's what I'm going to try first:

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 T powdered ginger
  • 1 t pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 T oil

I forgot to list the egg in the original recipe, and I also added 1/2 T brown sugar.

The pancakes came out brown (kind of like whole wheat) and tasted of ginger. It did not taste too strong, but did leave a slight burning sensation in my mouth. Next time, I think I'll decrease the ginger and increase the pumpkin pie spice.

I forgot to list the egg in the original recipe, and I also added 1/2 T brown sugar.

The pancakes came out brown (kind of like whole wheat) and tasted of ginger. It did not taste too strong, but did leave a slight burning sensation in my mouth. Next time, I think I'll decrease the ginger and increase the pumpkin pie spice.
i am so excited!! i can't wait for the final recipe!! please take a pic of a stack!! btw do you top them with anything special? or just the usual butter and syrup?

btw do you top them with anything special? or just the usual butter and syrup?
I don't do syrup. For these I'm alternating thin layers of PB and fruit spread.

Take two:

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 T powdered ginger
  • 1/2 T pumpkin pie spice

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 egg
  • 1/2 T oil
  • 1/2 T brown sugar
Not quite there yet...

Try adding a tablespoon or two of molasses...I always put that in my gingerbread cookies.

I added 1t of molasses and it did help the taste. Unfortunately, the pancakes stuck something fierce.

Gingerbread

Here You are::chef:

Gingerbread

INGREDIENTS:
* 14.1 oz flour, about 400g
* 8.818 oz sugar, about 250g
* 4.23 oz margarine, about 120g
* 2 eggs
* 4 tablespoons jam
* 2 tablespoons cocoa
* 1 cup of milk
* 1 teaspoon of baking soda
* 1 package of gingerbread spices
* delicacies

IMPLEMENTATION: Melt the margarine and cool. Beat eggs with sugar mixer. Add milk, flour, baking soda, cocoa, add spice to gingerbread. Stirring add jam. Then pour fat, stir until homogenous. Add flour, stir in nuts and dried fruit and mix. Prepared dough translate into a small rectangular sheet. Bake the cake. Cold pour chocolate cake and decorate as desired. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 50 minutes - 356 F: www.foodfrompoland.blogspot.com

you might want to check to see what percentage of your pumpkin pie spice is ginger. That would help keep you from adding too much.

you might want to check to see what percentage of your pumpkin pie spice is ginger. That would help keep you from adding too much.

Good point! I should probably just abandon the pumpkin pie spice and buy the cloves that I'm missing, but I am loathe to let any food (or spice) go to waste.

OK, so I tried it again. This time I increased the molasses to almost 1T (not on purpose). I augmented the spices with a few grates of nutmeg and a good dash of Vietnamese cassia. These were better than last time. I got around the sticking problem by using non-stick cooking spray, although that's going to make clean-up a bear.

Back
Top Bottom