Good Waffles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgheather

Assistant Cook
I am making a waffle breakfast for after T-day for out of town visiting family.

I have one recipe I use which has good flvor but kind of limp. I like my waffles a bit crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The recipe I use is this:

2 Cups of Flour
2 Tbsp of Baking powder
2 Tbsp of sugar
1 Tsp of salt
1 1/2 cup of milk ( I use evaporated for the flavor)
2 Eggs
1 Tbsp of vanilla
2 Tbsp of melted butter

What could I add to this or have another recipe altogether to make my waffles more crispy? I do use a waffle cooker and let it cook forever but it just gets it a bit crusty. Thanks!

Here's the recipe that I like. They do stay tender in the center with some crisp on the outside, have a nice full flavor, and are pretty healthy! Hope you and your family enjoy!

2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup orange juice
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 egg
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for cooking

The night before you plan to serve the waffles, in a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, orange juice, and oats. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the sugar and mix. Add the flours, baking soda, salt, and the oat mixture and mix well. Stir in the melted butter. The batter may be slightly lumpy.

Preheat and lightly butter a waffle iron. Spoon a generous 1/2 cup of batter onto the hot iron and close the lid. Cook until no more steam escapes from the iron and the waffle is golden on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Don't stack your waffles. Lay them out on a wire rack or the steam from the other cooked waffles will make the ones above limp and even soggy. Also, If they are set on the plate too quickly, the steam from underneath will make them limp and soggy. For crisp edges, and great flavor, if the waffles get soft on you, again because of steam issues, just put them in a hot pan with a bit of butter on them. They will become crisp in a hurry, so you have to watch them. But the method works. I do that with frozen toaster waffles (my wife and daughter eat them), but on a butter covered electric skillet. They come out so much better than in the toaster.

Another technique I've used is to let the light go out twice before removing the waffles from the iron. They are tender inside, and crispy outside.

Just a few tips from someone who has made a lot of waffles over the years.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I do lay them in a row but on a plate. I didn't think of the steam from below. I will use my cookie rack instead.

And I think I will "warm" them up in a pan with a bit of butter just because that sounds so good! LOL

Thanks for the tips and recipe!

The secret to crisp waffles is a thick fairly dry batter and intense heat.

It shouldn't take 'forever' to cook waffles. I get a nice golden brown in about a minute 20 seconds. If your waffle iron can't do that, it's time to buy another one.

I agree that thick batter is easier to work with, but with a thinner batter, and just the right amount of leavening, they come out so light and airy, with a delicately soft interior surounded by a crispy outer crust.

Now don't get me wrong. I like both. And truly, both are valid. It's just what you're in the mood for. I haven't time right now, butI have a great Belgian Waffle recipe that was given to me by another. I don't think I could do any better by experimenting with the recipe.

I will post it on Friday, while everyone else is asleep early in the morning. I'm a mornig kind of guy, while the rest of my crew are night owls. Gives me time to think. :D

Here's that Belgian Waffle recipe I promised. It's nothing extraordinary to make. It just produces yummy waffles.

Ingrediants;

2 cups AP Flour
6 tbs. honey
6 tbs. cooking oil (sunflower oil is the stuff I like)
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg quick rising yeast or 2 tbs. active dry yeast
2 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup skalded milk, cooled to 105 degrees F.

Combine milk, honey and yeast. Bloom the yeast. Add the flour, cooking oil, salt, and egg yolks. Stir until just mixed.

Beat the egg whites in a glass or stainless steel bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter. Lightly brush the waffle iron grids with oil, or butter. Add just enough batter to fill the waffle grids. Cook until the light goes out. Carefully remove and place on a wire for about thirty seconds or so to let them the steam escape. Serve with fresh fruit, or fruit sauce (or jellies, jams, preserves, etc.) and whipped cream.

For a real change of pace, omit a good half of the honey, and fold in 1/2 cup of your leftover mashed sweet potatoes into the batter, and cook them up for lunch.

Another option, serve then for supper with leftover turkey slices and gravy on top, in place of bread or rolls.

Waffels are so versatile. You can make them sweet or savory, and ingredients can include things like cinamon, cloves, nutmeg, finely diced onion, celery pepper, ginger... Well, you get the idea. You can make them sweet or savory, depending on your needs. The basic recipe is always the same. But the flavor is limited only by your imagination.

Yeast waffles after all, are simply a bread dough turned batter, and cooked in a waffle iron.

HMMMM!

This gets interesting...in my experience of cooking, "pancakes" in the frypan/skillet can be "relatively lumpy", whereas if you are doing "waffles", you want to be relatively "thin" in consistency, and have the "iron" almost superheated in advance...(ie so the "bottom of the waffle is "pre-cooked" a bit, and so isn't a "leaker" for steam or batter)

I don't really "get" the "cooling rack" thing...when I/we cook waffles, there is an eager line up of young eaters lined up, and "waiting like pigs wait"...whether its Dougie, with the allergy and major food issues, and wants his HOT with butter and maple syrup, or the remainder that range from that to whipped cream/fresh strawberry, banana, pineapple, blueberries, etc...likewise, we have moved on to chocolate ice cream as a "topping" (needless to say this is during our Christmas Family week, when everyone is home for 5-7 days)...I like the pork breakfast sausage from the local "premium butcher", or the wonderful "Mitchell's" thick cut bacon...understanding that most, if not all, USA readers have no clue what I speak of,...but if any of you ever get up here, you'll cath on really quick...

Anyways,

Lifter

Fabulous Waffles
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup melted butter
2 cups of buttermilk

Beat eggs till light. Sift together flour, salt,soda and baking powder.Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the beaten eggs, beginning with the flour ending with flour. Add butter blend thoroughly. Cook on waffle iron till it stops steaming.

Lifter; In SSM MI., there used to be people who made bacon, sausages, and meats of varying kinds. These mom & pop producers made some of the best meats anywhere. Sadly, the wolrd I now live in is the world of supermarkets that cary only the name brand, and store brand stuff. There is a summer-only place here called "The West Pier Drive In". It had the finest cold-cut subs on the planet. I met people from New York City, and Southern states who made it a point to come to my little home town to see the Locks (place where giant ships travel from the lower lakes into Lake Superior) and to eat the sub at the West Pier. The secret was the locally produced cold cuts, and fresh ingredients.

I really know what you mean about finding an exceptional bacon, or sausage, or even a great hot-dog, in this world of mediocre food from industrial giants. We have lost many great things as a civilization, in our quest for the almighty dollar.

I love a good pork sausage with waffles. The marriage of just the right amount of salt, a little maple, black pepper, cayenne, and sage just lights up my taste buds, especially when combined with good waffles and pure, dark, full-bodied Maple Syrup, the quintessential waffel or pancake topping.

Oh, and that cooling rack thing lasts for mere seconds, just to prevent the waffles from turning soggy.

Talk to ya later.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom