"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

I must admit to "cheating" because I use Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread. It is thicker cut and heavier than sandwich bread and has the cinnamon flavor in the bread. I always had trouble mixing the cinnamon in the egg/milk mixture. One loaf of that bread has about 15-16 slices so you could make enough for your family. When I make the whole loaf I usually use 5-6 eggs and eyeball the amount of milk. Lay the slice in the egg mix and gently push it under and turn it over then right to the griddle. If you let it soak, you'll quickly run out of egg mix and get into the tearing apart. I've made the casseroles too and they are nice as well and not as time consuming. I did one at Christmas in the crockpot that cooked all night long as smelled heavenly when we got up to see what Santa brought.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I too use the Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon bread. Because it is so much thicker, and at least a day old after opening it, I have no problem. I have always cooked with 'portion control.' For me it is one large egg per person with a glug of milk or half and half. I also use a two-burner griddle. Any leftover egg mixture gets poured over the last pieces of bread. Poke the pieces with a fork and gently pour over the bread. Those last pieces are a bit richer than the rest. I usually have enough to pour over just two pieces of bread after they have been dipped.

I also put the oven on 200F. and place the done pieces in there to stay warm. Then I could put the whole mess on the table. I also would place the syrup container in a bowl of hot water. Cold syrup on hot French Toast is not a good thing.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Our local supermarket chain makes a French Toast bread. It's loaded with cinnamon, vanilla and more. SO makes the FT with that a loaf at a time and we freeze it. It nukes well. It has to be served with warm maple syrup. I use the microwave to warm it up.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now you all have gone and done it. I REALLY want French toast, which is impossible to make here with the break-your-teeth-nuts-and-twigs bread that DH insists on. We have really good maple syrup. I will have to go ISO good cinnamon bread.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I never cared for it with cinnamon bread or adding vanilla to it. I like it plain with just some salt, no syrup & plenty of butter.

I think I'll be making some tomorrow morning!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

I love this place. Just ask a question and that's all we need. Diet or no diet, there's no question about what's for breakfast tomorrow. The bread is already soaking in the custard ready to fry in butter in the morning. AGHHHH.......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I never cared for it with cinnamon bread or adding vanilla to it. I like it plain with just some salt, no syrup & plenty of butter.

I think I'll be making some tomorrow morning!
I never thought of making a savory type of French toast. Going to roll that around in my mind to think of my options. Thanks Matey!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I'm a very plain eater. I think that's from being raised in the Pa Dutch area where you were only taught to use salt & pepper :)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I mix orange juice into my eggs where others use milk. Butter and powdered sugar to serve. Nice citrus taste to the toast.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Master Chef

You're killin me PF.......that sounds deeeeelicious.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote