Help with french toast please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to use Texas Toast. It is about as thick as two slices of white bread. Croisants work well to sliced in half. Also someday when you wan't to try something different . Thaw a container of French Vanilla ice cream to liquid consistency, and dip bread in it instead of egg mixture. Always a winner for Sunday Brunch. mysterychef

Last edited:
I never thought of making a savory type of French toast. :huh: Going to roll that around in my mind to think of my options. Thanks Matey!

Try a Croque-monsieur!

It is a cross between french toast and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

Be sure to include a little container of real maple syrup for dipping!

I must admit to "cheating" because I use Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread. It is thicker cut and heavier than sandwich bread and has the cinnamon flavor in the bread...

Why is it cheating to use a more flavorful ingredient? I think it's smart. I think the original problem was using soft sandwich bread. Using a sturdier bread is a great tip.

One other thing: You can bake French toast to make a bigger batch more easily. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place dipped bread slices on a greased baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through baking time. With a half sheet pan, you can do 15 slices at once.

Last edited:
I have made French toast with any bread I have on hand, even the "nuts and twigs" kind of bread. I use the "dry it a little in the oven" method if it is very fresh. My favorite French toast is using a big cinnamon roll cut into two slices and dipped into the egg mixture. It really does make a great French toast. At Christmas time I use eggnog to make my French toast. :yum:

I like to use Texas Toast. It is about as thick as two slices of white bread. Croisants work well to sliced in half. Also someday when you wan't to try something different . Thaw a container of French Vanilla ice cream to liquid consistency, and dip bread in it instead of egg mixture. Always a winner for Sunday Brunch. mysterychef

that sounds like an idea, the ice cream thing. Can you give better detail, cause I have a big tub of it, and very few eggs. Thanks

I like to use Challah bread. I buy an extra one on Friday and Monday morning make French toast for kids before they go to school. They love it with a dash of cinnamon, I like it plain

Try a Croque-monsieur!

It is a cross between french toast and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

Be sure to include a little container of real maple syrup for dipping!

I made those right after we saw the movie "It's Complicated"! I was thinking somewhere along the lines of tweaking Eggs Benedict, subbing the French toast for the English muffins.:huh: Hope I don't start another international war! :ohmy:

I make 1 egg / 3 slice french toast all the time. Regular/ day old/ whatever bread is in the house. The secret is to tell that first slice don't be so greedy. Put the bread in the batter. Push it down with a fork and flip it. It should soak, but not so very long. It should still hold together while you lift it over to the frying pan. Same with the 2nd slice. The third slice may indeed have difficulty soaking the last of the batter. and what I do after both sides are coated, and put in the pan, is just slowly pour the last few drops slowly across the 3rd slice. Sometimes if I accidentally splash a little too much milk when making, then I let the cats lick the bowl. They seem to hang around Hoping dad goofed up again.

I make 1 egg / 3 slice french toast all the time. Regular/ day old/ whatever bread is in the house. The secret is to tell that first slice don't be so greedy. Put the bread in the batter. Push it down with a fork and flip it. It should soak, but not so very long. It should still hold together while you lift it over to the frying pan. Same with the 2nd slice. The third slice may indeed have difficulty soaking the last of the batter. and what I do after both sides are coated, and put in the pan, is just slowly pour the last few drops slowly across the 3rd slice. Sometimes if I accidentally splash a little too much milk when making, then I let the cats lick the bowl. They seem to hang around Hoping dad goofed up again.

Well ok, if you're out of eggs or sumpin..:ermm: Eggs are probably the least expensive pure protein you can buy and I want my bread well soaked (preferably overnight) in the custard. Two eggs for three slices of bread isn't frivolous, ya think?;) Jes sayin...

French vanilla ice cream thawed to a liquid consistency in a pan. Dip bread or what have you on both sides and fry in Butter[ or whatever you like] on low heat until golden brown. The same as would with an egg mixture. Because it is quite sweet already you should use a small amount of syrup, honey,fruit spread, or your own choice. If using Texas Toast you could make ''Stuffed french toast''. Slit a small pocket in the side of bread and insert some solid cream cheese, [Butter pat size] and any fresh fruit, or spread. Dip both sides in liquid mixture ect. I also like the orange juice and eggnog ideas. Challah bread and raisin cinnamon bread sound good also. Good Luck mysterychef.

Last edited:
Well ok, if you're out of eggs or sumpin..:ermm: Eggs are probably the least expensive pure protein you can buy and I want my bread well soaked (preferably overnight) in the custard. Two eggs for three slices of bread isn't frivolous, ya think?;) Jes sayin...

It's not a question of being stingy or thrifty. It's the quantity. My body should really have 2 slices instead of three slices bread. Sometimes when I accidentally pour too much milk in whille making the custard, then another egg gets added. Now, if I were using a much denser bread rather than store bought sandwich bread, then certainly more custard is needed. And longer soaking so the bread isn't dry in the middle. In another reply here, it is noted that cooked french toast can be frozen/reheated. I don't like french toast batter to be too liquidy, and certainly more well, custardy, is better. I regret I seldom plan far enough ahead to make overnight french toast. If I do that, then I make baked french toast in a casserole dish.

As an aside, egg nog during the winter season, makes a good french toast custard.

Last edited:
When I make it Using 5-6 eggs to 3/4 c. milk, & a little vanilla, I add just a couple of tbsp of pancake mix powder. It gives the custard mixture a little more consistency & clings to the bread better, great taste too.

When I make it Using 5-6 eggs to 3/4 c. milk, & a little vanilla, I add just a couple of tbsp of pancake mix powder. It gives the custard mixture a little more consistency & clings to the bread better, great taste too.

:huh: I've never heard that one! May have to try it just for fun. Thanks for another idea.

All this talk about French toast had me making it for brunch yesterday! Picked the Challah bread up on Friday in preparation. I made six slices for the two of us :pig: using 2 eggs to every 1/2 cup dairy (half 1%, half "half and half"), some vanilla, and cinnamon sugar. Soaked for nearly an hour, then baked all of them in the oven (450 degrees) for a dozen minutes, turning once. I guess since they were all gone the turned out fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom