"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I like to use Texas Toast. It is about as thick as two slices of white bread. Croisants work well to sliced in half. Also someday when you wan't to try something different . Thaw a container of French Vanilla ice cream to liquid consistency, and dip bread in it instead of egg mixture. Always a winner for Sunday Brunch. mysterychef

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're killin me PF.......that sounds deeeeelicious.
Been doing it that way for years, one time used lemon juice in place of the orange...yum!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I never thought of making a savory type of French toast. Going to roll that around in my mind to think of my options. Thanks Matey!
Try a Croque-monsieur!

It is a cross between french toast and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

Be sure to include a little container of real maple syrup for dipping!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I must admit to "cheating" because I use Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread. It is thicker cut and heavier than sandwich bread and has the cinnamon flavor in the bread...
Why is it cheating to use a more flavorful ingredient? I think it's smart. I think the original problem was using soft sandwich bread. Using a sturdier bread is a great tip.

One other thing: You can bake French toast to make a bigger batch more easily. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place dipped bread slices on a greased baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through baking time. With a half sheet pan, you can do 15 slices at once.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I have made French toast with any bread I have on hand, even the "nuts and twigs" kind of bread. I use the "dry it a little in the oven" method if it is very fresh. My favorite French toast is using a big cinnamon roll cut into two slices and dipped into the egg mixture. It really does make a great French toast. At Christmas time I use eggnog to make my French toast.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
I like to use Texas Toast. It is about as thick as two slices of white bread. Croisants work well to sliced in half. Also someday when you wan't to try something different . Thaw a container of French Vanilla ice cream to liquid consistency, and dip bread in it instead of egg mixture. Always a winner for Sunday Brunch. mysterychef
that sounds like an idea, the ice cream thing. Can you give better detail, cause I have a big tub of it, and very few eggs. Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
...salt & pepper ...
Wow, salt and pepper, yo were lucky. Pepper was a commadety where I gew up. So it was only slat.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
Master Chef

I like to use Challah bread. I buy an extra one on Friday and Monday morning make French toast for kids before they go to school. They love it with a dash of cinnamon, I like it plain
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Try a Croque-monsieur!

It is a cross between french toast and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

Be sure to include a little container of real maple syrup for dipping!
I made those right after we saw the movie "It's Complicated"! I was thinking somewhere along the lines of tweaking Eggs Benedict, subbing the French toast for the English muffins. Hope I don't start another international war!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I make 1 egg / 3 slice french toast all the time. Regular/ day old/ whatever bread is in the house. The secret is to tell that first slice don't be so greedy. Put the bread in the batter. Push it down with a fork and flip it. It should soak, but not so very long. It should still hold together while you lift it over to the frying pan. Same with the 2nd slice. The third slice may indeed have difficulty soaking the last of the batter. and what I do after both sides are coated, and put in the pan, is just slowly pour the last few drops slowly across the 3rd slice. Sometimes if I accidentally splash a little too much milk when making, then I let the cats lick the bowl. They seem to hang around Hoping dad goofed up again.