"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I make 1 egg / 3 slice french toast all the time. Regular/ day old/ whatever bread is in the house. The secret is to tell that first slice don't be so greedy. Put the bread in the batter. Push it down with a fork and flip it. It should soak, but not so very long. It should still hold together while you lift it over to the frying pan. Same with the 2nd slice. The third slice may indeed have difficulty soaking the last of the batter. and what I do after both sides are coated, and put in the pan, is just slowly pour the last few drops slowly across the 3rd slice. Sometimes if I accidentally splash a little too much milk when making, then I let the cats lick the bowl. They seem to hang around Hoping dad goofed up again.
Well ok, if you're out of eggs or sumpin.. Eggs are probably the least expensive pure protein you can buy and I want my bread well soaked (preferably overnight) in the custard. Two eggs for three slices of bread isn't frivolous, ya think? Jes sayin...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #32
Senior Cook

French vanilla ice cream thawed to a liquid consistency in a pan. Dip bread or what have you on both sides and fry in Butter[ or whatever you like] on low heat until golden brown. The same as would with an egg mixture. Because it is quite sweet already you should use a small amount of syrup, honey,fruit spread, or your own choice. If using Texas Toast you could make ''Stuffed french toast''. Slit a small pocket in the side of bread and insert some solid cream cheese, [Butter pat size] and any fresh fruit, or spread. Dip both sides in liquid mixture ect. I also like the orange juice and eggnog ideas. Challah bread and raisin cinnamon bread sound good also. Good Luck mysterychef.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Well ok, if you're out of eggs or sumpin.. Eggs are probably the least expensive pure protein you can buy and I want my bread well soaked (preferably overnight) in the custard. Two eggs for three slices of bread isn't frivolous, ya think? Jes sayin...

It's not a question of being stingy or thrifty. It's the quantity. My body should really have 2 slices instead of three slices bread. Sometimes when I accidentally pour too much milk in whille making the custard, then another egg gets added. Now, if I were using a much denser bread rather than store bought sandwich bread, then certainly more custard is needed. And longer soaking so the bread isn't dry in the middle. In another reply here, it is noted that cooked french toast can be frozen/reheated. I don't like french toast batter to be too liquidy, and certainly more well, custardy, is better. I regret I seldom plan far enough ahead to make overnight french toast. If I do that, then I make baked french toast in a casserole dish.

As an aside, egg nog during the winter season, makes a good french toast custard.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make it Using 5-6 eggs to 3/4 c. milk, & a little vanilla, I add just a couple of tbsp of pancake mix powder. It gives the custard mixture a little more consistency & clings to the bread better, great taste too.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
When I make it Using 5-6 eggs to 3/4 c. milk, & a little vanilla, I add just a couple of tbsp of pancake mix powder. It gives the custard mixture a little more consistency & clings to the bread better, great taste too.
I've never heard that one! May have to try it just for fun. Thanks for another idea.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #36
Master Chef

All this talk about French toast had me making it for brunch yesterday! Picked the Challah bread up on Friday in preparation. I made six slices for the two of us using 2 eggs to every 1/2 cup dairy (half 1%, half "half and half"), some vanilla, and cinnamon sugar. Soaked for nearly an hour, then baked all of them in the oven (450 degrees) for a dozen minutes, turning once. I guess since they were all gone the turned out fine.