"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Help with french toast please.

I am sorry if this sounds like too many complaints all at once, but french toast gives me more trouble than a popcorn hull stuck in the back of my tongue.

So I get the concept, but when I go to dip it one of two things happen (sometimes both).

With one egg, i can make about 3 F Toasts, the first one though soaks up over half the egg at once, the second one gets some, and the third one get it very light.

For that one problem, I have to ask, how do you conserve the egg to be most efficient distribution to the bread. In other words, how can I even things more out, not have the first one soak up most of the egg.

My wife says, 'Dip it quickly'. But then this is where the 2nd problem comes in, the crust at where I am holding the bread, even if I spin it around, as I pull it out of the egg, it rips off, and when I try to fix it, where I tug at the bread also pulls apart forming a hole.

I've tried using forks, just to make a gash through the side, and as I lift it, gravity starts it's own damage.

Are there any tips. I love french toast even more than waffles or pancakes, but hate the process of making them.

How do y'all fix your french toasts, problem free?

p.s. I've tried spatulas too, just to drop a splotch of egg into the skillet with the bread, so that doesn't work well either

rockey_f_squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Master Chef
The secret to really good French toast involves more time than you may want to spend. Put your bread into a shallow dish and pour your egg/milk mixture evenly over the bread, then carefully turn it over with a spatula. The secret is to refrigerate it overnight, or at least several hours. By the way, one egg isn't enough for three slices of bread. Use two eggs mixed with about 1/4 cup of milk. Adding a teaspoon of vanilla is nice too.

You'll have wonderful French toast to cook in the morning.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
if i want to cook for a family of 5, that would mean 15 slices, how would I store them in the fridge so that the egg wont soak away towards the bottom of the stack?
rockey_f_squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef
You need to keep them in a single layer. Also, you need to use day old bread. Fresh bread would need to be dried out some in the oven, if that is all you have available. BTW, the bread needs to be thick sliced and not sandwich sliced to get great results. I really like Challah bread for French toast.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I wouldn't stack them. As Kayelle said, put in a shallow dish or tray, so all the bread gets equal time/egg mixture. And Craig beat me to the post, I agree with what he says too.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
If you have a half sheet pan, lay the slices out in a single layer and use enough of the liquid to handle them all.

Kayelle is right. Don't skimp on the liquid.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Master Chef
For a family of five I'd make an "overnight baked french toast casserole". <Google it and you get a lot of hits. I made a 9x13 pan for five adults and we had leftovers for 3 generous servings the next day. It's more like a bread pudding but oh so yummy! Some recipes are rich and calorie-laden, some are lighter on sweeteners and dairy, but there are a lot to chose from.

To top it I had maple syrup (of course) and also made an easy fruit topping:. A bag of mixed berries, defrosted, mixed with 1 Tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of lemon juice. The fruit topping was the winner!
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Master Chef
Good golly Rocky, I thought you were just wanting to make three slices of FT!

For a family of five, I'd go for a FT casserole too! That is unless you enjoy frying up 15 slices and that's all good too. Dad cooking breakfast for his family is a very good thing.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Master Chef
I always make extra liquid. But do not soak it overnight. Also I like to slice my own bread for the french toast. And prefer bread that is at least couple-three days old.
Using some what flat dish/container is the way to go so you can put all 3 pieces at the same time. Never had bread rip.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook
Hi Rocky! I have two ways of making French toast. the first way sounds like the way you are currently making yours. I use sliced Italian sandwich bread & I fry off 1 slice of bacon in my pan so I have a good fat for the toast.

I take 2 eggs & 1/3 cup of milk.

When I dip that first piece in I make sure I flip it fairly quick. I use my fingers to do this so it doesn't tear. I just repeat the process, allowing each slice to soak a short time. If I have any milk mix left over I just pour it over the 3 slices of bread & I cook it slow.

Now, here's a recipe I tried a little over a month ago, it's a make-a-head French toast recipe but it was really easy.....

1 Lb loaf French bread, cubed (I used my Italian bread though)

8oz cream cheese, cubed

8 eggs

2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)

3/4 cup sugar

6 TBS melted butter

1/4 cup maple syrup (I skipped this & used cinnamon)

1. Spray 13X9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in dish; sprinkle with cream cheese. Top with remaining bread.

2. Whisk all ingredients in large bowl; pour over bread, pressing on bread with a spatula to soak up egg mixture. Cover & refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

* my review* It was pretty good but I think next time I want to try and melt the cream cheese, if that's possible.

ahoymatey2013 is offline   Reply With Quote