"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO Basic Beignet Dough

Some of you may know, from several recent posts, that Ive become a bit obsessed with deep frying. Since my other passion is bread, Im sure its no surprise to yall that I would turn to fried bread.

Ive made donuts, which came out very well, and Im trying my hand at those lovely, pillowy New Orleans donuts; beignets. Ive made a few variations, and aside from my rolled chocolate beignet, which very predictably turned my oil black, all were acceptable.

Ive looked a dozens of recipes for beignet dough, and there are some pretty wide variations. Several use shortening and boiling water. One has no oil at all and uses baking powder and no yeast. Some with egg, and some with none.

Id like to find a recipe for a dough that I can use as my basic dough. If Im making sweet breakfast beignets, I can add a bit of sugar. If Im making savory cheese beignets, I can omit most of the sugar.

I know there are a lot of you who are very accomplished southern food cooks. Do any of you have a recipe for beignet dough that can be adjusted for sweet or savory, but keeps its donutty texture? What gives the dough that texture, or is it the frying thats responsible?

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've got one of those Junior League or church cookbooks from the NOLA area, been a while since I looked at it. It's got a pretty good beignet recipe in it, uses Evap milk and I think an overnight rise (been a while since I made any). I'll get it out later and post the recipe. DD and son-in-law got it for me 1 year while they still lived just outside of NOLA. In fact, it was probably from his Aunt's church.

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #3
Master Chef

Here is the recipe I used when I was at Amoretti and the women that I worked with scarfed them up like they had been fasting for a week!

New Orleans Beignets

Ingredients:

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
4 cups self-rising flour
Oil for deep frying
Confectioners' sugar

Instructions:

In a large bowl, add the yeast and the sugar to the warm water and wait 5 minutes for the yeast to bloom. Add the milk, oil, and egg and fold in 2 cups of flour to form a smooth dough. Fold in enough of the remaining flour, cup at a time, to form a soft, sticky dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate it overnight.

Punch dough down. Turn it out onto a generously floured surface, roll it into a 12- x 16-inch rectangle and cut the dough into 2-in. squares.
Heat the frying oil in a deep fryer or a deep pot to 375. Gently place the squares into the hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown on both sides. Do not crowd! Drain the beignets on paper towels, then dust them liberally with confectioners' sugar.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I've got one of those Junior League or church cookbooks from the NOLA area, been a while since I looked at it. It's got a pretty good beignet recipe in it, uses Evap milk and I think an overnight rise (been a while since I made any). I'll get it out later and post the recipe. DD and son-in-law got it for me 1 year while they still lived just outside of NOLA. In fact, it was probably from his Aunt's church.
I’d greatly appreciate that recipe, if you’d like to spend the time posting it. Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Here is the recipe I used when I was at Amoretti and the women that I worked with scarfed them up like they had been fasting for a week!

New Orleans Beignets

Ingredients:

1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
4 cups self-rising flour
Oil for deep frying
Confectioners' sugar

Instructions:

In a large bowl, add the yeast and the sugar to the warm water and wait 5 minutes for the yeast to bloom. Add the milk, oil, and egg and fold in 2 cups of flour to form a smooth dough. Fold in enough of the remaining flour, cup at a time, to form a soft, sticky dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate it overnight.

Punch dough down. Turn it out onto a generously floured surface, roll it into a 12- x 16-inch rectangle and cut the dough into 2-in. squares.
Heat the frying oil in a deep fryer or a deep pot to 375. Gently place the squares into the hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown on both sides. Do not crowd! Drain the beignets on paper towels, then dust them liberally with confectioners' sugar.
I haven’t seen a recipe similar to this. I’d like to try it, but I’m really not thrilled about buying self-rising flour to make a few donuts, and then never use it again! Isn’t self-rising flour just AP flour with baking powder and/or baking soda?
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Here is a good episode of Binging with Babbish on Beignets. Ye starts with the Cafe duMonde mix, and then makes them from scratch.

CD
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I havent seen a recipe similar to this. Id like to try it, but Im really not thrilled about buying self-rising flour to make a few donuts, and then never use it again! Isnt self-rising flour just AP flour with baking powder and/or baking soda?
You can use the self rising flour for breading purposes also.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post

New Orleans Beignets

Ingredients:

1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
4 cups self-rising flour
Oil for deep frying
Confectioners' sugar

Instructions:

Self rising flour and yeast?
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Self rising flour and yeast?
I’ve seen recipes on occasion that contain both. I assume it’s for a little extra “lift” for that pillowy effect.
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I've never tried to make Beignets. I have had them in New Orleans, including Cafe duMonde's. They are wonderful. I can only eat one or I'm going to be bouncing off the walls, especially if I have NOLA coffee with it.

CD

Tags
dough