ISO Effects of varying ingredients in pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina said:
My favorite version are the cinnamon/vanilla flavored pancakes with sliced caramelized apples and pears topped with whipping cream. It's heavenly!

Recipes! We need recipes. I've re-invented the wheel in cooking for the last 30 years.:ROFLMAO: I son't want to have to experiment every time. Give us the recipe.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Livingston said:

Just so I understand, if buckwheat doesn't produce very much gluten, I assume that addition of an egg (if needed) is to give at least some bubble holding power to the recipe(?)

Thanks so much.

Liv

no, i don't think that that's exactly it. the egg will make it less delicate or "tear-able". to keep more of the bubbles in, you just need a thicker batter. of course, the lower the milk ratio, the dryer the cakes will be, which is fine if you like soaking up the syrup.

i don't know if you've ever had yeast-risen pancakes before, (for example, sourdough buckwheat), but a higher ratio of eggs will give you a texture more like that.

by the way, my usual recipe goes like this:

2 big, heaping, handfulls of flour
1 palmfull of baking powder
1 good 4-finger pinch of salt
1 clenched fistfull of sugar

sift 3 times

emulsify 1 egg and approximately equal amount of oil or melted butter. add (and i'm guessing here) somewhere around 3/4 milk.
mix the 2 mixtures and add a little more milk until it's the "right" consistency.

however, 2 or 3 weeks ago, i used my daughter's recipe, which went something like this:

1 1/2 cup flour
2 or 3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder (i used a heaping T)
1 teaspoon salt (which i decreased a tad)

1 egg
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup of milk

when i mixed the wet and dry ingredients, i didn't add all the liquid at once. as a matter of fact, i refrained from adding about a couple of ounces or so.
this will give you an idea of what i consider the "right" consistency.
icon12.gif

Last edited:
Goodweed of the North, this morning I tasted the pancake I made per your recipe, and here where I can safely say that my pancakes are the winners. Sorry to say, but it was not good, not good at all this morning. My pancakes will taste good even 3rd day, not only second. A lot of times, I’d make whole bunch and just worm them up in the microwave for kids in the morning and they still taste great. Even cold, they will taste good.

Livingston, as far as describing, difference. This is how my wife described it to me. She said that my pancakes are like a mill, and American pancakes are just that pancakes. Outside of making them both side by side and taste them and see which one is better per your taste, I have no way of telling you what the difference really is. It’s almost like bread (actually I thing it is good comparison) you know, plain old white bread in the store, it’s like a big cotton ball, and then you go to French bakery and they have this heavy, solid, hard crust old world bread, I think this is the only way I can compare these two.

Here is my recipe again

1 cup butter milk or yogurt, I like plain, but kids like fruit or berry kind, anything will work. (I prefer butter milk, but it is not available where I am, so last few years I’ve been using yogurt).

1 cup flour

1 extra large egg

Pinch of salt

Sugar if desired, but if you add sugar you have to be careful with heat when frying. The pancakes might burn.

1 tea spoon of baking soda and about 1-2 table spoon vinegar mixed together. You have to keep adding vinegar slowly until reaction stops; you will see the soda will start foaming up as soon as vinegar added. Usually I do not, but I have done in the past, 1-2 table spoons of oil. Then you use less oil when frying. Though, I like to use more oil when frying.

The recipe is true and works well if multiplied, triple, quadruple or quintuple. ;)

I mix liquid ingredients first, and then slowly add flour. Make sure there no clumps of unmixed flour. I have a big family and usually make a big batch, so I just use a hand mixer, if I make just one batch I’ll just mix everything with a wooden spoon. The pancakes will rise when frying if they are not it means there is not enough flour, they will end up flat. That could be due to difference in the quality/consistency of yogurt.

When frying, I use corn oil, kind of cover the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of oil, and add as needed.

Serve hot with sour cream, jelly, syrup of your choosing and/or whatever else you might like. Cup of tea on a side, is an added bonus.

Back
Top Bottom