ISO TNT Waffle Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmontg34

Cook
The hubby and I got a new waffle maker over the weekend and I want to find a delicious waffle recipe. I tried the one that came with the appliance and found it to be sub par at best. Thanks all!

It was 2 cups of flour, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 3/4 cup of milk, some vegetable oil, and a pinch of salt. It seemed pretty basic and the flavor was kind of dull.

No sugar? No vanilla? Those would help.

You could also add some cinnamon.

And buttermilk in place of (or partial place of) the milk. I love me some buttermilk waffles and pancakes.

No sugar? No vanilla? Those would help.

You could also add some cinnamon.

And buttermilk in place of (or partial place of) the milk. I love me some buttermilk waffles and pancakes.

Unfortunately buttermilk is not readily available in these har' parts pardner. So for those of you who like buttermilk pancakes and waffles, you can buy the culture in your baking department at your local supermarket. You will see it on the top shelf. It is called "Saco Cultured Buttermilk" It is in a small yellow can. Make sure you place it in the fridge once opened. It is a living culture. :chef:

This recipe is for true Belgian Waffles, but can be used in a regular waffle iron as well. It has lots of flavor, and makes waffles that are crispy on the outside, and tender-soft on the inside, with a great yeasty, sweet flavor.

Ingredients:

1 pck active, dry yeast
3 eggs, seperated
2 3/4 cups warm milk (not more than 110'F)
1/4 cups warm milk (not more than 110'F)
4 cups all purpose, or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup melted butter (cooled slightly)
1/2 cup sugar or honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp salt

Preheat waffle iron.
Stir the yeast into the quarter cup of warm milk until dissolved. Combine all dry ingredients and stir together with a wire whisk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and melted butter until creamy smooth. Add the milk, vanilla extract, and honey if you use that, to the egg/butter mixture and whisk together until combined. Whisk together the wet and dry ingredients.

In a clean glass, or metal bowl (dont' use plastic) beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.

Brush the waffle plates, top and bottom, with cooking oil. Spoon batter onto the waffle iron to cover the bottom plates. Close and cook until golden brown and crispy.

Another waffle recipe I tried came out so good that I had to make it into a recipe.

Pumpkin Waffles

Ingredients:
15 oz. can pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 12oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. double acting baking powder.

Combine the spices, sugar, salt, baking powder, and flour together with a balloon whisk. Add the other ingredients to form a smooth batter.

Preheat the waffle iron. Brush with cooking oil and spoon batter onto the bottom waffle plate. Close and cook until done. Serve with sliced peaches, or cooked apple wedges and whipped cream.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief, the lack of crispiness was a big peeve too, so I'll def try the recipe. You too Sir_Loin those recipes look awesome, esp. the sour cream one.

I use the one in the Red and White Better Homes and Garden cookbook from the '50s. I add orange zest, cardamon, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the batter. I also substitute seltzer (about 1/2 c) in place of 1/2 c of the buttermilk. It works every time. I made waffles for my parents on Valentine's Day using this recipe. I topped the waffles with sliced bananas sauteed in butter and a bit of my dad's maple syrup, and dressed the waffles/banana topping with a bit of whipped cream that had some ground cardamon and a splash of vanilla. Breakfast was a hit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom