"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Head Chef

National Pancake Day

In honor of National Pancake Day, what is your favorite pancake and topping?

P.S. IHOP is giving away free pancakes today.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Cook

I'll have to say good old blueberry......home made with fresh blueberries.

But, many years ago when my kids were little I would cut back on the milk and add applesauce to the batter.....not bad.

With the price of gas and the location of the nearest IHOP......$$$$$

Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

My favorite: Pecan pancakes, layered with warm applesauce and topped with hot maple syrup.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Vanilla bean ice cream and strawberries!

And hey there, MarcD, I'm a few miles east of you.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
In honor of National Pancake Day, what is your favorite pancake and topping?

P.S. IHOP is giving away free pancakes today.
National Pancake Day! I didn't know there was a National Pancake Day. Why didn't anyone ever tell me there was a National Pancake Day?

Anybody who knows me, knows that I have a special pancake recipe. Couple that with Upper Peninsula wild blueberries, and you have to know what my favorite pancakes are, and with the abundance of sugar maple trees in my neck of the woods, you have to know what my favorite topping is.

After that, I'd have to say Dutch Babies with freshly sliced cling peaches, a bit of cinnamon, and Chantilly Cream (whipped cream flavored with vanilla and sugar).

Of course, it's hard to beat pumpkin-pie pancakes with butter and brown sugar.

Flapjacks cooked on a cast iron pan over a cooking fire on a warm summer day in the woods, with family of course, in a little bacon grease to give them crispy edges (the pancakes, not the family), with bacon on the side, and maple syrup. How I used to love camping when the kids were young. This would be at the top if my kids still lived close enough to go camping with, even if the pancakes were dropped in the dirt, or had a little ash in them, it would be at the top.

Whole wheat pancakes with my good friend's local, wild honey from his beehives

Buckwheat pancakes with butter and buckwheat honey

Mickey Mouse pancakes, or any funny shaped pancakes with my Grandkids, oh wait, that has to be my number one pancake breakfast because I'm having fun with my Grandkids. And it doesn't matter how irresistably good the other pancakes are, this is number one, even if they were overcooked and yucky tasting (but that never happens in this house), they would be the best pancakes. And we'd have to sing the pancake song, you know the one - Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I outta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

An ode to pancakes

Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

I may have to make a trip to the Chief's house ;-)

I was scurrying around this AM, turned on the local News, & they were flipping pancakes like there was no tomorrow. I think it's called Fat Tuesday?

We have a local place that serves red velvet pancakes. I'm very tempted. Have some all-in-one blueberry pancake mix. Might give it a go in my aebelskiver pan.

Keep those hot cakes/flapjacks coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
National Pancake Day! I didn't know there was a National Pancake Day. Why didn't anyone ever tell me there was a National Pancake Day?

Anybody who knows me, knows that I have a special pancake recipe. Couple that with Upper Peninsula wild blueberries, and you have to know what my favorite pancakes are, and with the abundance of sugar maple trees in my neck of the woods, you have to know what my favorite topping is.

After that, I'd have to say Dutch Babies with freshly sliced cling peaches, a bit of cinnamon, and Chantilly Cream (whipped cream flavored with vanilla and sugar).

Of course, it's hard to beat pumpkin-pie pancakes with butter and brown sugar.

Flapjacks cooked on a cast iron pan over a cooking fire on a warm summer day in the woods, with family of course, in a little bacon grease to give them crispy edges (the pancakes, not the family), with bacon on the side, and maple syrup. How I used to love camping when the kids were young. This would be at the top if my kids still lived close enough to go camping with, even if the pancakes were dropped in the dirt, or had a little ash in them, it would be at the top.

Whole wheat pancakes with my good friend's local, wild honey from his beehives

Buckwheat pancakes with butter and buckwheat honey

Mickey Mouse pancakes, or any funny shaped pancakes with my Grandkids, oh wait, that has to be my number one pancake breakfast because I'm having fun with my Grandkids. And it doesn't matter how irresistably good the other pancakes are, this is number one, even if they were overcooked and yucky tasting (but that never happens in this house), they would be the best pancakes. And we'd have to sing the pancake song, you know the one - Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I outta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Who decided it was national pancake day...

I like butter (lots) and maple syrup (little bit) on buttermilk pancakes.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

cranberry corn pancakes are my fave, with real vermont butter and maple syrup. actually they're 2nd fave only to my mom's norwegian pancakes (really crepes) rolled with butter and sugar.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
It's sort of a religious thing... ya know to use up all your gluttonous ingredients like flour, eggs and milk before you start your very strict fast for Lent...

Now then, I'm English, therefore I know how pancakes should be served.

Batter made in a litre ice cream tub, starting with two eggs, a sort of a cup of wholemeal flour and same amount of white flour and milk until the batter is runny. That way you can make them really thin, and crisscross them with honey (NEVER maple syrup) and lemon juice (straight from the lemon, not the plastic stuff) and roll them up.

Yummy, yummy