"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Orange Pancakes

I just found this recipe and thought I'd share it with you all:

Orange Pancakes with Sunshine Orange Sauce

2 cups biscuit mix
3 tbsp. sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup milk
Sunshine Orange Sauce

*Combine biscuit mix and sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.

*Combine eggs, orange juice, and milk in a small bowl, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

*Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake on a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn and cook other side. Serve with Sunshine Orange Sauce. Yield: 14 (4-inch) pancakes.

Sunshine Orange Sauce:

1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup orange juice

*Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Serve warm. Yield: 3/4 cup.

Obtained from: Southern Living 1997 Annual Recipes Cookbook

Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

This sounds great! I will have to try it soon.

:) Barbara

Old 11-18-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Martha Stewart used to use OJ in her french toast, OJ in the pancakes sound great.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
Master Chef

I made these this morning and they were really good too. As far as the sauce though I didn't like the consistency when cooking it so I thickened it up with some powder sugar. As far as the batter I added just a little more Bisquick to thicken the batter up a little more.

I topped the pancakes off with the orange sauce and some chopped pecans.

I attempted to whip up some fresh whipped cream but it was a total flop. Tried 2 different methods that I thought might work..........no recipe..........huge mistake... Gonna have to post to find that recipe..... But I was racing against the clock because I wanted to fix them but had to hurry because I had to go to work.

But I do recommend them but like I said They'd been even better with the fresh whipped cream and then topped with the chopped pecans. I'm def. going to make these again but add the above.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Basic Whipped Cream

Cream
a little sugar, to taste
a little vanilla

Whip to stiff peaks. Doing this by hand, while it's tiring and takes a few minutes, usually won't result in over-whipped cream with butter flecks in it. Whipping on a machine, while faster and easier, needs to be constantly watched, as in a flash, you can have sweetened butter in milk liquids. A good rule-of-thumb when whipping cream on a machine, is get everything else done, then whip the cream and DON'T LEAVE IT until it's reached stiff peaks.

I'm also going to give out a recipe for whipped cream that I got from Prudhomme's "Louisiana Kitchen"

Chantilly Whipped Cream
yields: about 3 c

2/3 c heavy cream
ÂĽ c sour cream
ÂĽ c sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t Grand Marnier
1 t brandy

Combine and whip to stiff peaks.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I made these this morning and they were really good too. As far as the sauce though I didn't like the consistency when cooking it so I thickened it up with some powder sugar. As far as the batter I added just a little more Bisquick to thicken the batter up a little more.

I topped the pancakes off with the orange sauce and some chopped pecans.

I attempted to whip up some fresh whipped cream but it was a total flop. Tried 2 different methods that I thought might work..........no recipe..........huge mistake... Gonna have to post to find that recipe..... But I was racing against the clock because I wanted to fix them but had to hurry because I had to go to work.

But I do recommend them but like I said They'd been even better with the fresh whipped cream and then topped with the chopped pecans. I'm def. going to make these again but add the above.
Sounds really good to me! :)