"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
Out of this world pancakes

Way back in the 60's, Family Circle or Woman's Day published a paperback cookbook that I used a whole lot as a young wife. One of the best recipes in there became our family favorite, with a myriad of adaptations through the years. It was oatmeal pancakes. Here's the basic start recipe. Feel free to use walnuts , flaxseeds, banana slices, blueberries, etc.

Heat 1 can evaporated milk, diluted w/1 can water to scalding.
Pour it over 2 cups regular oatmeal, and let it set until just warm.
Melt 1/4 c. butter and add to the oat mixture.
Separate 2 eggs, and add the yolks to the oats.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
To the oat mixture, add 1/3 c. all purpose flour, 1/4 t. salt, and 1 t baking powder. Finally fold in the egg whites, and bake on a hot griddle.

What's good about them is they're so adaptable, have very little wheat in them, and if you're an oatmeal fan, you'll love these. Try serving them with homemade blueberry syrup, or subbing ww flour for the all purpose flour. Add some bran if you like. Toast some walnuts, or add a couple banana slices to the baking cakes. Many times I've made it by using the right amount of hot water over the oats instead of the canned milk and just added powdered milk to the mixture when I added the yolks.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

interesting, thanks for posting...one question, how much fluid is this;the canned milk and water together? I would not use the canned milk so I need to know how much fluid..

Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

oatmeal pancakes

Well, the canned milk usually is usually in a 12 oz. can so that would be 3 cups liquid, or a little more.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

I like to use Jiffy Banana Walnut muffin mix to make pancakes with.. Wow, are they good... Add just a little Bisquick to it to lighten it up a bit.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

jiffy mix

that does sound great, using the walnut banana muffin mix, and really quick too. Great thing for the kids to make Sunday night supper too.